Grey Street to play at Hunt Club tonight

Dave Matthews Band freaks, prepare to jam tonight at the Hunt Club. Grey Street, the Baton Rouge-based DMB tribute band performs live in the Coyote Concert Hall at 9 p.m. What started out as an acoustic show based on a live performance at Luther College has now become Grey Street, the second DMB tribute band. The original is, of course, The Dave Matthews Cover Band.
    “We share the same love for Dave,” Justin Haydel, violinist and lead guitarist, said. “We will cover gigs for DMCB when they are on the road somewhere else.”
    Acoustic guitarist, Ashley Lormand, and Haydel played a few acoustic sessions before they decided to put an entire band together. After recruiting Haydel’s cousin, bassist Drew Freyder, sax and flute player Jason Moore and a few others, they were set to go.
    They began playing in biker bars and have traveled throughout the Southeast. At Louisiana State University’s homecoming last year they opened for They Might Be Giants.
    Since the Dave Matthews Band does not travel to this area often, Grey Street’s main goal is to spread Dave’s music so everyone can get a taste for the live shows.
    “We want to give a small version of Dave’s live performances for those who have not experienced the real thing,” Haydel said.
    Even though they are a cover band, Grey Street adds a little of their own style to some of the songs. The Dave Matthews Band carries the rhythms of Africa, but Grey Street adds a cajun-creole style to the mix.
    “Many Dave fans want to hear their music live. We are here to do that and to pay an homage to them. But expect us five Louisiana boys to take your breath away,” Lormand said.
    Grey Street put together a demo CD with four DMB songs; ‘Too Much,’ “41,” “Ants Marching” and “Crash.” They insist they build their live performance around “41,” giving each member his own solo. In the end they come together as a band and rock out.
    “It’s definitely awesome. We start with a cool groove in the beginning, and then we each add our own spark. When we all come together it’s magic,” Haydel said.
    The guys of Grey Street have been together for about two years with a few change-ups. After two members left school, the group added drummer Lance Lemoine, and Haydel learned to play the violin in only four months. They hope to play together for as long as possible, but do not have any plans to make a career out of it.
    “You can only get so far on someone else’s music. We haven’t written anything as a group, but if there is a way, that would be awesome,” Lormand said.
    Right now all the guys attend LSU with majors ranging from biology to business. Though it’s hard to balance school with the band, the guys have found a way to keep their GPAs up.
    “While everyone is clowning around in the van I usually listen to my headphones and study,” Haydel said.
    Besides DMB, Grey Street’s other influences are James Taylor, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton and fellow DMB fan John Mayer. Lormand insists that Lemoine is a big fan of the true pilsner.
    Tickets will not be sold, but there is a $10 charge at the door. For more information on Grey Street, check out their Web site at www.greystreet.com.