Dawgs get revenge

%26%23160%3B

Last week against South Carolina, Mississippi State (2-4, 0-3) head coach Jackie Sherrill made the commitment to play talent over experience. Saturday that decision proved vital in the Bulldogs 11-8 homecoming victory over Troy State (2-5). The Bulldogs started three true freshmen for the homecoming contest, but they were not the only youngsters making an impact Saturday.
    Free safety Darren Williams provided possibly the biggest spark for the defense posting three interceptions during the game.
    “This is the type of game you dream about. And my dream came true,” Williams said. “I can’t stress how much the other people in the secondary, the veterans in the secondary, helped me out. They helped me out a lot. I really appreciate playing with them.”
    Despite struggling with a continued problem of turnovers, the Bulldogs received their biggest production of the year from reserve sophomore running back Fred Reid.
    Reid rushed 18 times for 111 yards, caught three passes for 18 yards and scored the Bulldogs’ only touchdown.
    “I got the carries that I have been wanting. I had to get those first carries to get myself going,” Reid said. “I felt real confident after that. I feel that I can do that every week if I can get the carries.”
    MSU also started true freshmen Richard Burch at offensive tackle and Kevin Dockery at cornerback.
    The Trojans came into Saturday averaging 398 total offensive yards per game, but ran into a determined Bulldog defense. The Bulldogs held TSU to 197 offensive yards, including 136 rush yards and 61 pass yards. The Bulldogs also intercepted six passes, the most for a Bulldog defense since 1939 versus Arkansas, on the afternoon.
    “Defensively, I thought that our kids played very well, especially in the secondary,” Sherrill said. “There is no question that we played well in a lot of places. Any time you intercept six passes you are doing something good.”
    While the defense could be credited with winning the ballgame Saturday, the Bulldog offense could be blamed for keeping the game close.
    The Bulldogs rushed for just 118 yards, gave up five sacks and fumbled the football six times, losing four, including two inside the Trojan 20-yard line.
    “We need to look at what we are asking the players to do in our blocking schemes,” commented Sherrill on the offensive performance. “It is very evident that we aren’t very effective in our blocking schemes. We have to come back and look at that. And we also have to throw and catch.”
    Kevin Fant completed 22 of 32 passes for 210 yards and one touchdown. Justin Griffith led MSU in receiving with five catches for 57 yards, Donald Lee added four catches for 27 yards and Darius Tubbs caught three for 41 yards.
    Defensively, Mario Haggan again led the Bulldogs with 10 tackles and one tackle for loss, Kamau Jackson made eight tackles and Dockery added seven. Korey Banks, T.J. Mawhinney and Josh Morgan each added an interception for the Bulldogs.
    MSU will now prepare to travel to Memphis, Tenn., for a Saturday evening contest at the end of the week. The Bulldogs beat the Memphis Tigers 30-10 last season in a rare nationally-televised Monday night contest.