Student Association teams up with United Way

Mississippi State University Student Association is assisting United Way of North Central Mississippi in raising money for 18 local organizations. Both the Student Association and the United Way are calling upon students, faculty and staff for generous donations to benefit the local area.
    Last year the student body raised over $7,300. All proceeds went directly to the community.
    William “Brother” Rogers was the campaign chair last year and can be contacted at 325-8409 with any questions about how anyone from the local community, personally or as an organization, can contribute to this cause.
    “The goal this year is around the same as last year, for the community,” stated Rogers.
    Sara Sullivan, the Student Association member responsible for this fundraiser, can be contacted at the Student Association office for further information on the events and the proceeds of the fundraiser.
    “To raise money for the community,” said Sullivan about the objective of the fundraiser.
    Rogers gave the example of when a storm hits Starkville, similar to the one that hit in 2001, to illustrate how some of the money helps those in need. Helping in the fundraiser will not only benefit local organizations, but the residents of Starkville and the surrounding area.
    “Donating gives a lot of bang for the buck,” said Rogers, meaning that one donation to United Way will be distributed to 18 organizations.
    Rogers calls this type of donation an “efficiency gift.”
    “United Way is a bridge…it rids some tensions between the community and the campus,” stated Rogers.
    “The money [raised] goes directly into the charities,” stated Sullivan.
    This annual event will take place Oct. 21-25. Events will take place such as “penny wars,” which is a competition between the dorms to raise the most amount of money. There will be a fundraiser at Rick’s CafZ American, a bake sale Thursday and Friday of those weeks, and the ROTC is also having a fundraiser.
    All money must be accounted for and given to the United Way by the first week in December.
    “Donation Day is Thursday and Friday,” stated Sullivan, who invited any organizations that are not already involved to participate.
    Sullivan stated that students will be able to participate by either donating or volunteering at one of the 18 organizations throughout the year to benefit the community in which they reside.
    The 18 organizations that will benefit from the fundsraiser can be contacted for the community to volunteer and the United Way can be contacted with further questions or donations at 323-3830.
    The 18 organizations are the American Red Cross, the Area Agency of Aging/ Fellowship Foods/ Homemaking Service, Boy Scouts of America, Boys and Girls Club of Oktibbeha County, Brickfire Project, CONTACT helpline, Epilepsy Foundation, 4-H Clubs, Habitat for Humanity, Mark Mitchell Children’s Shelter, North Mississippi Kidney Foundation, Oktibbeha County Human Society, Girl Scouts of Northeast Miss., Recovery House Inc., Salvation Army, Safe Haven/The Rape Crisis Center, Sally Kate Winters Children’s Home and the Very Special Arts of Mississippi.