Bulldogs get Reality Check

Reality Check, a comic and gaming store located in the La Galerie shopping center, seeks to offer an escape in a community atmosphere. Ed Koeder, the owner of Reality Check, saw a unique opportunity to offer Starkville a comic book and gaming store, and he took advantage of it. After discovering Gun Dog Comics would shut down in August of 2001, Koeder felt obligated to keep Starkville supplied with comics and games. Koeder left his job with the government and decided to open up Reality Check. Few people would leave a comfortable job to chase dreams, but Koeder knew he could help fill a need.
    “I thought Gun Dog shutting down was a travesty,” Koeder said. “There are very few places for people to get comics in this area. Gun Dog was the only place in Starkville. I thought that I could help out by opening Reality Check.”
    Reality Check also offers many items besides comic books such as miniature games, collectible card games, role-playing games and fine pewter miniatures. Koeder said he finds a lot of enjoyment in selling games, but he also provides a place for people to play the games. Reality Check also offers specific, organized gaming nights every week.
    “There are a lot of people that need a release from the wear and tear of everyday life,” Koeder said. “Being able to come to Reality Check and interacting with like-minded people through playing games is therapeutic for some people. Half of my store is dedicated to people playing games. We don’t charge anything; we just want to provide a community atmosphere for people to hang out in.”
    Koeder remains active in the community while keeping up Reality Check. Koeder helped start a campus organization called MAGE (Movie and Game Enthusiasts). MAGE meets on Wednesday and Thursday nights to play miniatures, role-playing or to watch movies. Koeder also has free comic days. Koeder goes to local theatres and gives away comics to anyone who wants one. Last year, Koeder and some friends decided to have a free comic day at the opening for “Spider Man.”
    A Mississippi State alumnus, Koeder started Reality Check on his own in the hopes that he could provide the area with something unique. His long-term goals for Reality Check involve growth to different cities and having specific stores for gaming and others for comics.
    “I would love to get it where there are people playing all of the time,” Koeder said. “I want Reality Check to be a thriving community atmosphere.