Lady Bulldogs get swept away at Arkansas, LSU

A key injury forced changes in the Mississippi State lineup on the road this weekend as the ‘Dawgs (10-14, 1-8) failed to take a game in visits to Arkansas (17-5, 7-2 SEC) and LSU (13-7, 5-4 SEC). Junior middle blocker Jennifer Rousey, who leads the team in hitting percentage and blocking, suffered a high ankle sprain in Wednesday’s practice and missed both games.
    MSU moved junior Nicole Broome to the middle, and freshman Kelly Willinger to opposite hitter to compensate for Rousey’s absence
    “It was tough without one of our best front row offensive and defensive players (Rousey),” said MSU head coach Brenda Bowlin. “Nicole (Broome) and Kelly (Willinger) did a nice job in unfamiliar territory. That is our best lineup for right now until we get Rousey back.”
    For the second straight Sunday, Mississippi State’s vertical netters held and lost a sizable lead in Game 2.
    After LSU hit .297 in the opening game to post a critical 30-27 victory, MSU responded and led 29-22. That final point proved to be too elusive for the Bulldogs as LSU won 32-30.
    The Bayou Bengals sealed the sweep by breaking an 11-11 Game 3 deadlock and coasting to a 30-19 nod. The loss was the seventh consecutive for the snake-bitten Bulldogs.
    Jennifer Hampton led the Tigers with a 13-kill, 10-dig double-double and Kyra Lancon tallied ten kills of her own as LSU out-hit MSU .260-.182.
    Broome led the ‘Dawgs with 11 kills and only one error to hit a robust .476 for the match. Senior Misty Hubenthal added 10 kills for the Bulldog attack.
    Junior libero Tanika Taylor posted 12 digs to lead MSU’s defensive effort.
    The division leading Arkansas Razorbacks out-hit the beleaguered Bulldogs .189 to .073 in the 30-25, 30-23, 30-26 sweep Friday night.
    At 6’5″, Sara Kincaid led the Hogs with 15 kills, and Libby Wendell added 13 by hitting an impressive .455.
    MSU freshman Rachel Cooper posted her sixth double-double of the season with a 10-kill, 13-dig showing. Hubenthal followed with nine kills and 10 digs.
    Taylor once again led the Bulldog defense with 12 digs.
    “The scores show that we played respectably and responded to adversity, but we just didn’t have enough fire power for the critical situations, said Bowlin Saturday.