Wal-Mart takes cuts for charity

The Starkville Smartstyle Family Hair Salon, located in Wal-Mart, combats breast cancer by donating all proceeds from haircuts on Oct. 5 to help find a cure. The Starkville Smartstyle Salon will participate with many other Smartstyle Salons from around the nation and in Canada in the Fifth Annual Smartstyle Clip for the Cure.
    All haircuts given on Oct. 5 at Smartstyle cost $10 instead of the usual $12 and up. In addition, 10 percent of the money earned by selling Regis-brand products from Oct. 1-15 will go to the fight against breast cancer.
    Maegan Guice, a Starkville Smartstyle Salon employee, said she looks forward to contributing to the fight against breast cancer. She added that she feels sensitive to the cause because she knows that breast cancer strikes women very often. Guice doesn’t want to see breast cancer take any more female lives.
    “Being a woman gives me a lot of motivation to help find a cure for breast cancer,” Guice said.
    John Biggs, chief operating officer of Smartstyle Family Hair Salons, recognizes how widespread breast cancer has become.
    “So many of our stylists, customers and their loved ones have been affected by breast cancer,” Biggs said. “We hold this event to raise funds to help fight the disease and also to raise awareness of the importance of early direction.”
    More than $3.5 million raised by Regis Corporation stylists through bake sales and raffles sets the foundation for this year’s Clip for the Cure.<</p>