Tait comes to Columbus Saturday

In the world of Christian music, the Grammy and Dove award-winning band DC Talk is a common name. The group has been around for over 11 years and has produced many hit songs in both the Christian and secular music businesses. But, when the band decided to take a break so that the three members could pursue solo careers, Tait was born. Michael Tait, vocalist for DC Talk, formed a side project band, Tait, and brings his band to Columbus for a performance. On Nov. 9, the doors to the Whitfield Auditorium will open at 6 p.m. to welcome Tait. The concert begins at 7 p.m. for only $7.
    Tait is a relatively new band with only one album, EMPTY, under its belt. However, the album was a huge success in the Christian music world and was nominated for a Dove award for “Rock Album of the Year.”
    “My new band, Tait, has proven to be yet another rocking challenge and the story of my life,” Tait said.
    The band also includes lead guitarist Pete Stewart, bassist Lonnie Chapin and drummer Chad Chapin. Tait and Stewart worked together many years ago while Tait was with DC Talk and Stewart was with the band Grammatrain. They said they hope to work together for many more years.
    Declare His Glory Ministries will present the show, and those in charge of the ministry, Boyce and Jeanna Frye, are very excited about it. The ministry focuses on “sowing seeds of unity for the churches to come together to make and be the difference in the Golden Triangle region.”
    Boyce said he chose to bring Tait to Columbus because “We want to promote Christian music for people under 30, so when we had the opportunity to bring Tait in, we did.”
    Boyce said that bringing Tait to the Whitfield Auditorium and having a good turnout might open the doors for many other Christian bands to be brought to the Golden Triangle.
    “It is only the beginning,” Boyce said. “We want it to impact the area and minister to people. We want to be able to minister to college-age students and encourage them in their walk with God.”
    Eddie James and Colourblind, the band opening for Tait, is an asset to the concert because of their more hip-hop style of music. James is known for writing many songs for Christian singing sensation Karen Wheaton from Decatur, Ala.
    The Whitfield Auditorium holds up to 1,218 people, and a full crowd is expected for the show. Tickets for the concert can either be purchased prior to the concert at New Life Christian Supplies in Columbus or at the door on the day of the concert.