Destination: Omaha

The Mississippi State baseball team resumed practices Monday, but due to NCAA standards, the team was limited to “four on one” practices, which only allow four players per session. After a successful 2001 campaign, one that saw the Bulldogs win the SEC Tournament, the “Diamond Dawgs” are ready to go again.
    Ron Polk, who was head coach at Mississippi State for 22 years before coaching at the University of Georgia, will begin his second term this season.
    This season, one of the biggest advantages for the Bulldogs is experience. Twenty-three lettermen will be returning from last year’s squad, and 18 of those saw action as starters last season.
    “We have some key players back, especially in the infield,” head coach Ron Polk said. “The experience of the infield is a real plus for the ball club.”
    As far as experience goes, the Bulldogs are weakest in the outfield. All three outfield positions could be filled by new faces this year.
    “We don’t have too many guys from last year that played a lot in the outfield,” Polk said. “Going into the fall, we knew the outfield would be an area that there would be more concern about a lack of experienced players, but we feel like they’ve made a lot of progress out there.”
    Another strongpoint for Mississippi State is pitching. In recent years, the Bulldogs have received a lot of help from the mound in winning tight games.
    “I think pitching depth is one of our strong points, and as long as we stay healthy on the mound, it will remain a strong point for the rest of the season,” Polk said. “It’s always nice to have a sound, solid pitching staff.”
    One pitcher who has been reliable in the past is senior co-captain Tanner Brock. A major factor in the Bulldogs’ success this year is whether or not Brock and other pitchers will perform up to their expectations that have risen since last season’s achievements.
    “(Pitching) was pretty strong last year. I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t be again,” Brock said. “We’ll just go out with the same attitude that we did last year, and everything should work out.”
    As a team captain, Brock will also be looked to for leadership.
    “For me it’s an honor to represent the team and be voted on by my peers as the captain,” Brock said. “It’s just important to try to set an example for everyone.”
    But, the most important leadership position, of course, is that of the head coach. With Ron Polk taking over again, a few changes have been made in the approach the team takes to practicing.
    “With the new coaching staff, we’ve got a new plan and a new system,” Jason Burkley, a senior who played for former head coach Pat McMahon said. “Now, having Coach Polk back, it seems like the atmosphere out there is a lot more upbeat.”
    Burkley, who played catcher and first base last season, will be behind the plate full time this year.
    Since returning, Polk has also emphasized to the players the importance of hitting. Last season the Bulldogs had trouble scoring runs at times and had to rely on their defense.
    “We’ve got some young guys that are going to step into the lineup this year and hit the ball good,” Burkley said. “We’ve got enough guys coming back that we should score more runs this year than we did last year.”
    Mississippi State is ranked No. 17 in the 2002 Baseball America preseason poll. They will try to improve that ranking beginning Feb. 22 in the National Bank of Commerce Classic held at Dudy Noble Field-Polk Dement Stadium.