‘The Canadian Flash’

Mississippi State sprinter and Olympian Pierre Browne has had a full and illustrious career. Browne currently stands No. 1 in Canada and is ranked in the International Amateur Athletic Federation. Sprinter Pierre Browne is more than just a great athlete. He is also a great person.
    Pierre remains focused on what he has to do to succeed both on and off the track. This focus is what has helped him be successful during his time at MSU.
    Pierre hails from Toronto, Canada, where he enjoyed a very successful junior career as a runner. Pierre was looked at by several schools in the states, but says he chose MSU for reasons other than just running.
    “My coach at home told me they were recruiting short distance sprinters,” Pierre said. “I came out here for a visit and they showed me the campus and it was very nice. They talked to me about high academic expectations and about graduating their athletes, aspects like that. I really liked the atmosphere out here and it was like a family.”
    Browne was looking for a place where he could improve himself in the classroom as well as the track, and found this was the place for him.
    He said, “I decided to come here because academically it seemed very good for me. They really pay attention to you, and if you need help it is there for you.”
    Of course the athlete in Browne was looking to compete with the best, and found the SEC to be the place.
    “In track it is in the Southeastern Conference, it is the hardest conference in the country and the world,” Browne said, “If you are good here you are pretty much good anywhere.”
    Browne has several fond memories of his career so far at State.
    He said, “My freshman year at indoor conference I ran 20.9. The thing was I just jumped in the race and ran, and this guy and I were neck and neck. I got through with the race and turned around and saw 20.9, I never knew I could run that fast. My other time was at the Texas relays, I ran 10.19 in the 100-meter but I thought it was a windy day. It turned out to be legal and that was a big thing for me to get that time.”
    One of Browne’s biggest claims to fame might be his appearance in the 2000 Olympic games in Sydney. He said that was a big moment for him and hopes to get back to the games the next time around.
    Browne said, “The best thing about going to the Olympics was that I proved to myself that I could do it. I knew if I work hard for any goal I have I could actually get it. That goes for anybody. I definitely want to get back, which is why I am working so hard here. It is a few years away but I want to keep myself in shape.”
    Along with reaching the Olympics, Browne has solidified himself as one of the top sprinters in the country.
    This can only come with hard work, and head coach Al Schmidt said that is the biggest thing that he has noticed with Browne this year. Schmidt said, “Right now I am seeing a work ethic that has changed. He is even more dedicated and more serious than I have seen in the past. Quite frankly I think he is the best 200-meter runner in the country right now. If he keeps bringing this kind of work ethic with the talent that he has, the sky is the limit; NCAA champion.”
    Browne himself said his work ethic is something that needed to change coming into this year.
    He said, “Really when I came out here I was 19 years of age and mentally I was a little immature. I didn’t really take practice serious. I would do the work but I wouldn’t really put a lot of effort into it as I am now. Now I see the light, I see where I can go with this. It is an opportunity and a blessing so I have to take advantage of this.”
    With his new work ethic and confidence, Browne has set high goals for himself this season. He wants to win the NCAA championship in the 200-meter sprint in both the indoor and outdoor season.
    He is well on his way, already having run the second fastest 200-meter time this year. Browne said, “I was proud to run such a time. To start off this fast is really good.”
    As long as he keeps working as hard as he is, Pierre should have a good chance at achieving his goals. Like Schmidt said, the sky is the limit. For Browne, that is true.