Unfair treatment, rulings in SAE case

As everybody knows by now, thanks to two front-page headlines of The Reflector, the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity has been put on two years probation. I understand that there must be a lot of public interest, so as a member of SAE I am willing to give you the inside scoop. Many readers will probably need to sit down because this is going to blow your mind. Here goes–in the past, members of SAE have consumed alcohol while on campus. I know, I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s true. If you feel you can take any more, here’s another bombshell. Every fraternity on this campus has members and guests who drink in their houses on a regular basis. I know what you are thinking, “This guy is nuts, doesn’t he know State is a dry campus?” The fact is drinking goes on throughout the Greek system. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for drinking, but I just think that State’s policy needs to be rethought. The university’s policy now is not don’t drink; instead, it’s drink all you want, just don’t get caught. I think this course of action hurts all parties involved. Albert Einstein said, “Nothing is more destructive of respect for government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be (or in State’s case: are not) enforced. It is an open secret,” and he was the greatest mind of the 20th century.
    Also, I would like to mention that those who decided on the punishment were very unjust in their decision. The verdict was handed down by members of other fraternities who partake in similar acts and will continue to do so. The other people involved in the judgment were Vice President of Student Affairs Roy Ruby, Dean of Students Mike White and his assistant, Thomas Bourgeois. These men were in Greek organizations themselves–not SAE–but I know they must have never been a part of drinking or any other regulated activity because they have sought only the strictest punishment possible to destroy SAE’s name and honor. In the end, they settled on the two-year probation, but I feel their biggest motivation for this ruling is a hope that the probation would kill SAE by destroying our rush. To me that’s a blow below the belt. It also seems very hypocritical, and as I always heard growing up, “Jesus hates a hypocrite.” On the other hand, his first miracle was changing water to wine.
    Further on, I would like to point out that the incident in question involved a non-initiated member acting on his own will, as he stated in his signed confession. He took full responsibility for the action, and did not seek or will any blame to be put on SAE. We at SAE are not a communist state that controls our members. We are brothers, not mothers, but for the actions of one guy, a hundred other guys have to suffer. That sounds like a fair judgment to me. That’s why I do not believe a group should be punished, especially to these extremes, for some body else’s actions, but I could be wrong. In fact, I think the university should be held just as responsible. They admitted him into the university and it happened on its campus. I’m getting infuriated right now just thinking of all the students State has let drink excessively without any attempts to stop them. I believe Mississippi State should be kicked off campus for 10 years.
    In closing, I would like to add some corrections and advice for The Reflector. For one thing, the article said SAE is one of the oldest chapters, but in fact we are the oldest and have done many great things for the community and our university in our long, proud history. Finally, it is quite apparent that The Reflector is anti-Greek. It ran the first report that took up half of the front page without one fact, and attempted to discover every single different way of saying “we don’t know what happened.” Then in the next article the SAE motto was added in poor taste. When a Christian falls short of perfection you don’t rub the Ten Commandments in his face. Yes, we make mistakes, but we do try to live up to the ideals of the True Gentleman. In fact, since this accident many changes have been implemented at SAE. The little brother/big brother program, the event that is blamed for the episode, has been changed, as have many other policies. I feel that State’s administration needs to follow suit. They rushed to make an example of a fraternity to take the blame for their shortcomings. In the future, I hope changes can be made, and everyone will stop assuming the worst of fraternities.