MSU simulates United Nations meetings

Mississippi State University hosted the 23rd annual simulation of the United Nations’ representative assembly Thursday through Saturday of last week. Around 280 high school students from 16 schools throughout the state took part with about 70 students from Millsaps College, Mississippi University for Women and the University of Southern Mississippi.
    The high school students formed seven security councils, and the college students met together in one large council. Each council discussed topics involving international conflict, such as nuclear weapons policies, peacetime landmine usage, children in armed conflict and black-market arms trade.
    The councils also discussed security issues such as response to the most recent al-Qaida terrorist attacks and the conflict between India and Pakistan.
    Under the supervision of volunteer MSU students, the members of the councils had to follow proper U.N. protocol to pass resolutions on behalf of the countries they represented.
    Dr. Rick Travis, an associate professor in the MSU political science department, directed the event. Travis has been helping coordinate the event for nine years.
    “The most important value to the students is that it helps them to understand international affairs and the role of the United Nations,” Travis said. “That is something that is very lacking in Mississippi, and after this weekend, 280 students will go back to high school with a much clearer understanding of international politics.”
    Each year, the U.N. simulation features a guest speaker, and none have been more distinguished than this year’s keynote speaker. His official title is: His Excellency Mr. Jagdish Koonjul, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Mauritius.
    Koonjul has represented the West African Republic of Mauritius the United Nations since 1978 in various capacities.
    The island country of Mauritius, located in the Indian Ocean just over 500 miles east of Madagascar, was elected to a two-year term to the Security Council in October 2000. In January 2002, Mauritius, with Koonjul as its head ambassador, assumed the presidency of the Security Council. The West African Republic of Mauritius is the vice chairman of the Sanctions Committee on Iraq and the vice chairman of the Counter Terrorism Committee established after the Sept. 11 attacks by Security Council Resolution 1373.
    Travis spoke very highly of Koonjul. “One of the nice things about having Ambassador Koonjul here is that the students have an opportunity to interact with an actual member of the Security Council who was also, just this January, president of the Security Council,” Travis said. “He brings with him up-to-date information and insights about the war on terrorism and a variety of other subjects these students need to know about.”
    Robert Pugh of Columbus, a retired member of the U.S. diplomatic corps, also spoke at this year’s event. During his 30 years working with the Department of State, Pugh held a variety of leadership positions, including deputy ambassador to Lebanon and ambassador to the West African Republic of Mauritania and the North African nation of Chad.
    The students involved with the program said they were surprised at how complicated many of the U.N. processes were.
    Kathryn Johnson and Elena Dent, juniors at Tupelo High School, represented France in their Security Council.
    “There’s a lot more involved than we knew about,” Dent said. “You have to keep in mind the views of the other countries.”
    “There’s a lot of compromise involved,” Johnson said.
    Ben Nagel, a senior at Starkville High School, proudly wore a green jacket while representing Ireland in his council.
    “There’s been a lot of deliberating; it’s a slow process,” Nagel said. “Ireland has not taken a major stand against any bills, but we have helped to work out some problems that have come up.”