Alma mater of SNL greats hits Columbus

With an alumni list full of names like John Belushi, Bill Murray, Mike Myers and Chris Farley, the Second City National Touring Co. has a history of success. The traveling comedy troupe will take the stage at the Princess Theater in Columbus Thursday at 7 p.m.
    “Second City is a comedy school in Chicago,” Heather Rowland, executive director of the Columbus Arts Council, said. “They do show after show of stand-up comedy mixed with comedy sketches like ‘Saturday Night Live.’
    “The show is a mixture of ‘Saturday Night Live’ and ‘Whose Line is it Anyway?'”
    The show is divided into three parts. There are two 45-minute sets of classic comedy sketches followed by about 25 to 30 minutes of free improvisation.
    The six-member cast will perform a blend of classic scenes, songs and improvisations, characterized as irreverent, intelligent and provoking in a press release.
    “Comedy improv is one of my special interests,” Rowland said. “When I saw Second City at a booking conference, I jumped on the chance to bring them here.”
    Along with the show Thursday night, the company is offering a comedy workshop in the afternoon from 1:30 to 3:30.
    “It’s a time for folks to work with some of the comedians and get some experience,” Rowland said.
    Space is limited to 15 participants over 16 years old, and the cost for the workshop is $10, which includes the show in the evening.
    “There are only five or six spaces left in the workshop,” Rowland said.
    To reserve a spot, call (662) 328-2787.
    The events are sponsored in part by Omnova Solutions, Yellow Book, the Cumulus Corp. and the Mississippi Arts Commission. This event is not recommended for children.
    “We’ve set everything up to be a really fun time,” Rowland said. “It’s in a historic venue that’s very comfortable and laid-back.
    “It’s not a stuffy atmosphere at all. You can get food and drinks and bring them in.”
    Tickets for the evening performance are $10 in advance and $12 at the door, with seniors and students at half price. The tickets are on sale now at the Rosenzweig Arts Center, Kwik Kopy and The Bath Station, all in Columbus. One can also purchase tickets online at www.columbusarts.org or by calling (662) 328-2787.