Dance workshop offered

The University Performing Arts Committee will sponsor a contemporary dance performance April 9 at the Humphrey Coliseum at 7:30 p.m. The Dallas Black Dance Theatre will perform all sorts of dance, including contemporary, modern, and expressive dance.
    “The Lyceum Series is trying to expose students to theatrical and musical dance groups that they usually would not get to see,” said Deborah Funderburk, a lecturer in the Department of Health and Physical Education. “This is a cultural enrichment for the students.”
    Another exciting twist to The Dallas Black Dance Theatre’s visit to MSU is that there will also be a dance class for MSU students at the Joe Frank Sanderson Center on the afternoon of the performance.
    Sponsored by the University Honors Program, the class will begin at 2 p.m. in the Sanderson Center’s Studio A. It will be a low intermediate jazz style class.
    “Students can call me at 325-9250 and find out what to wear,” Funderburk said. “Or they can just show up.”
    The members of The Dallas Black Dance Theatre have been working to make the class a fun jazz dance class that everyone will enjoy.
    “Anyone interested in musical theatre, cheerleading, pom squad, aerobics and any form of dance will enjoy this class,” Funderburk said.
    According to Funderburk, students are welcome to participate in the class or they can just watch.
    “This is a wonderful opportunity for students to study with a really top-rate, nationally-known dance group and learn about the art form of dance,” Funderburk said.
    According to Funderburk, tickets for the performance Tuesday night will be $10 for adults and $6 for children, with the exception of MSU students, who can attend for free.