Editors look toward future of student media

The Reflector introduces Leslie Ann Shoemake of Franklin, Tenn., as its new editor in chief for the 2002-2003 school year. Shoemake, who is a junior communication student emphasizing in journalism, was selected in late March by Mississippi State University’s Student Publications Committee.
    “I am excited, and I am looking forward to the new position and next year,” Shoemake said.
    Shoemake has also named her editorial board for the new school year. The board is as follows: Sammie Stevens, managing editor; Amber Dukes, advertising manager; Stephen McCloud, news editor; Hannah Walton, assistant news editor; Wilson Boyd, opinion editor; Derek Cody, sports editor; Matthew Allen, entertainment editor; Sam Freeman, photography editor; Grant Holzhauer, HTML editor and Angela Pitalo, copy editor.
    “The new ed board will do a wonderful job with designing and editing their respective sections,” Shoemake said. “I have complete confidence in them to do a good job.”
    Shoemake has a history of working for The Reflector and hopes that it will help her with her job over the next year. She assumed responsibilities from outgoing editor Carrie Reeves beginning with today’s publication.
    “I started about a year ago as a copy editor, not knowing a year later I would be editor in chief of The Reflector,” Shoemake said. “It’s different being editor in chief. All my responsibilities have changed completely.”
    Shoemake is one of the youngest editors in chief that have been hired in the long tradition of The Reflector, but that does not hamper her goals for the newspaper.
    “My No. 1 goal is to move The Reflector back toward the students,” she said. “We are here to serve the students; therefore we should cover things that apply to students-things students care about.
    “My other goal is to uphold The Reflector’s standing as an award-winning news paper.”
    Shoemake said she is very excited about working as the editor in chief and working closely with The Reflector’s editorial board.
    The Publications Committee also announced Jonathan Sobley, a sophomore landscape architecture major, as the Reveille editor in chief.
    “I have ideas and objectives on how to prevent the Reveille from being a thing of the past. I just hope they work,” Sobley said. “I have to deal with not only selling the book, but also the publication of it. I am very confident that the 2003 Reveille will be a great success and will be a lasting impression here at MSU.”
    Sobley also has previous experience in student media.
    “My previous positions on staff have always been section editor positions, until this year when I was the associate editor,” Sobley said. “I am ready for whatever comes my way.”
    “The Reveille is in the process of rebuilding its staff,” Sobley said. “I hope that we will be able to find more like them, and they too will carry on the traditions of the Reveille staff.”
    Shoemake and Sobley both hope to keep the Reveille and The Reflector award-winning media sources at Mississippi State University.