Soccer gets ready for alumni game

Fifteen former players, including a handful from Mississippi State’s 2001 SEC Western Divison champion squad, return to campus this weekend as the Mississippi State soccer team hosts its first alumni game on Saturday as part of Super Bulldog Week festivities. Kickoff is set for 10:30 a.m. at the Mississippi State Soccer Field. “We are extremely excited about the prospect of having the first ever alumni soccer match here at Mississippi State,” said Mississippi State head coach Neil McGuire. “This offers us a chance to celebrate the growing tradition that has been established, and continues to grow within our team. The alumnus who have helped this program grow are a big part of what we have achieved, and it be nice to have them back to let them enjoy the fruits of their labor.”
    Meredith Riekert (now Meredith Launey), a 1995 second team all-SEC selection and State’s career leader in both goals (22) and points scored (59), will make her first trip to campus since closing out her career in 1998.
    Riekert will be joined by a bevy of speed and talent offensively, with the alumni squad having a capable netminder as well in 2001 second team all-SEC goalkeeper Kirstin Olson. Olson, a 2001 graduate of the program, still holds MSU career records in saves (291) and minutes played (4,195). Riekert will likely play in the midfield, to assist any number of proven goalscorers returning to campus this weekend. Lauren Hall, a 2000 graduate and current volunteer coach with the program, could find herself being utilized in a number of different positions, having played in all areas of the pitch during her career. Emily Eiselstein, Megan Bay, Sam Corker, Krissa Dobbins, Beth Dreher, Stephanie Lyon, Amy Mann, Casey Newman (now Casey Tice), Charleston Platt, Kate Saulters, Stacey Smith and Brandi White will also return to spark the alumni squad.
    Mississippi State’s current edition will return nine of 11 starters from its SEC Tournament squad which brought home MSU’s first conference women’s title of any kind. All-conference forwards Jessi Moore (first team) and Amy Van Zandt (second team) will highlight the current squad after both eclipsed Riekert’s single season scoring record with standout performances in 2002.
    McGuire said is hoping for a big crowd to honor the returners, “It will be a fun game to watch, as the group returning to Starkville are a talented bunch,” he said. “Our team will have to be at their best. We hope that our regular fans, people with interest in soccer, as well as any and all other vistors to Super Bulldog Weekend, will help cheer on both old and new.