International Fiesta adds color to Drill Field

The International Fiesta drew a large crowd, good food and some very unique entertainment from around the globe Saturday on the Drill Field. This year was the twelfth time that the Fiesta has been a part of Mississippi State University and Starkville, but the first time that it was a part of Super Bulldog Weekend. About 3,000 people attended the Fiesta to participate in the activities.
    Those attending the Fiesta visited booths from different countries, admired art and tasted food from that culture. After guests visited the booths, they could pick up a snack, like the famous Korean beef sticks, take a seat in front of the stage and watch some diverse entertainment.
    The fashion show was a new addition and one of the highlights of this year’s Fiesta. Models from various countries graced the catwalk strutting traditional wear of their native countries while fashion merchandising students read interesting facts about the models’ countries over a loud speaker.
    Many garments from the Tang Dynasty represented China in the fashion show. In China, as well as in other countries, garments have symbolic importance, such as happiness or status. Japanese garments often symbolize human traits such as honor, courtesy and wisdom.
    Thailand boasted the stylized practicality of its clothes. Thai men and women have the freedom to wear what they want, but they dress traditionally in order to respect their ancestors.
    Clothes in the Philippines are consistent with the breezy shoreline of the country. Seashell necklaces and shoes made from carved wood are popular there.
    One fashion merchandising student said fads exist in other countries, and it is interesting to know about them.
    “It (the fashion show) is a great way for people to realize that fashion is a communicator,” Hannah Pickard, a senior in fashion merchandising, said.
    The students in Phyllis Miller’s fashion class at MSU put on the fashion show, and the garments that people wear in other countries are one of the most interesting things about the Fiesta.
    George A. Adebiyi, a professor at MSU and president of the Nigerian Progressive Association, demonstrated how his loose garment allowed plenty of room for his legs to move in case he was hunting.
    “Even though it’s a hot climate, you can let in some breeze,” Adebiyi said, showing off his sky blue garment.
    The International Fiesta is an opportunity for students and Starkville residents to experience things that are outside the norm.
    It is not every day that somebody gets to look at a Nigerian wood sculpture or learn about Nigerian authors, one of which, Wole Soyinka, won the Nobel Prize in English Literature.
    Americans put on demonstrations as well. MSU student Randy Brou did a martial arts presentation at the Fiesta. He said martial arts fits right into a cultural gathering.
    “Martial arts is a really good thing for people to know; it has deep cultural significance,” Brou said.
    A booth representing Germany had giant beer mugs for sale as well as bread and cake; the Palestinian booth had elaborate vases, and the booth representing the People’s Republic of China had chicken on a stick served with a creamy peanut butter sauce.
    No matter what people went to the Fiesta expecting to experience, they probably couldn’t help but seeing a little bit of it all. This year was the biggest International Fiesta to date.
    Involvement in the Fiesta says a lot about who people truly are that they can come together during this time of international turmoil, said Jean Walrath, president of the World Neighbors Association.
    “Every year the Fiesta gets bigger and better,” Walrath said. “If there is ever a time in history to come together, it is now.”
    Walrath said there are over 1,200 international people in Starkville, and the world can be a better place if people would step across cultural boundaries.
    “We can get together and heal misunderstanding,” Walrath said.