Students begin reading program

The Campus Outreach and Service Learning Center boost Sturgis Elementary students’ interest in reading during the annual Read Across America Day. March 1, Read Across America Day, also Dr. Seuss’s Birthday, targets the importance of reading at an early age. To achieve this goal, MSU students incorporate activities for the elementary students to enjoy reading.
    Campus Outreach staff member Sada Garcia read Seuss’s Hop on Pop to children in kindergarten through the second grade.
    “We brought students bubble wrap, and cut it into squares,” Americorp Vista and Campus Outreach Coordinator Keva Martin said. “Every time they heard ‘pop,’ they jumped and made a pop.”
    Martin read Bartholomew and the Oobleck to children in third through sixth grades.
    “We mixed some cornstarch, water, and green food coloring (oobleck), and they played with it while we read,” Martin said.
    When asked about the children’s response, Martin said, they loved it.
    Martin also said Read Across America Day not only benefits the elementary students, but also the MSU students involved.
    “I think the students participating are more involved in community and national holidays emphasizing education,” Martin said. “It’s a lot of fun, too.”
    Martin believes the project is a success and plans to continue.
    “This is the third year we’ve done it,” Martin said. “We plan to do it again; it’s a yearly event across the nation.”
    The Campus Outreach and Service Learning Center participates in other service projects such as the Teddy Bear Drive.
    “We are going to give the teddy bears to the Children’s Hospital in Birmingham, Ala.; Blair E. Betson in Jackson; Sally Kate Winters Home Memorial in West Point; and the Palmer Home for Children in Columbus,” Martin said.
    “We’re hoping to have at least 300 teddy bears,” Martin said. “It’s going to be a big event.”
    Another upcoming project is College Opportunity Day is on April 19,” Martin said. “We will bring elementary students to campus to raise interest in college.”
    While participating in various service projects, the Campus Outreach and Service Learning Center keeps a common goal.
    “The goal of our office is to encourage students in learning and service,” Martin said. “We hope that whatever jobs and careers they have, they will incorporate service.”
    Martin hopes that other students will want to be involved with upcoming service projects.
    “We would love to have others to help out with other service projects, especially the teddy bear drive,” Martin said.
    If interested, contact the Campus Outreach office at 325-8471 or visit Room 207 Colvard Union.