Movie portrays Mississippi heroes

I, like many other college students, saw the new Mel Gibson film, “We Were Soldiers,” over Spring Break. Little did I know that right down the road from my home was a link to the story of Lt. Col. Moore and his 7th Calvary 1st Battalion unit in the battle of Ia Drang Valley, better known as Landing Zone X-ray, which was the first major engagement between American forces and the North Vietnamese Regular Army in the Vietnam War. It was a bloody, brutal battle that lasted three days and nights-the NVA forces had 4,000 soldiers, and the 7th Cavalry had only 400 troops in the area of action.
    Theron Ladner, 57, of Kiln, and George McDonald of Pass Christian, both fought at LZ X-ray, and both were awarded the Bronze Star for their bravery in action. Ladner was an M-60 machine gunner on the southwest flank of the battle area, and McDonald was part of the mortar crew. Most of the soldiers in the 7th Cavalry were short-timers, meaning they only had a few weeks left in their tours of duty.
    I met these heroes for lunch and discussed the battle and different issues regarding the Vietnam War and veterans’ issues. The big issue discussed was how the veterans were treated by the country they defended.
    “When we got home, people acted like we were never over there and would not believe us when we told them what went on over there-that is why we never talked about the war, except between ourselves,” Ladner said.
    “We are now receiving the just respect and recognition we deserve,” McDonald said.
    Both Ladner and McDonald are disabled by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, a mental disorder caused by traumatic events in a person’s life. The government initially played this down and ignored the veterans’ complaints and needs, just as they have ignored Gulf-War Syndrome the past 10 years.
    “Nothing was done about it (PTSD) until around 1988, after many of my wartime buddies had committed suicide from not being able to handle the nightmares,” Ladner said. Both men described Vietnam as a war of money and politics. Men who were married or in college were not drafted like Ladner and McDonald.
    “The poor fought the war, and the politicians would not let us finish them off,” McDonald said, describing the frustration he and his fellow soldiers felt as they would see enemies cross into Cambodia to regroup but were not allowed to pursue them and give them the final blow.
    Both men expressed their surprise at the historical accuracy of the events at LZ X-ray and gave it “75-80 percent” rating for what really happened.
    McDonald described the scene when the napalm was dropped after Moore ordered “Broken Arrow,” the code for permission to drop ordinance on your own position.
    “The napalm landed 40 feet from my foxhole, and I saw my buddies that were too close engulfed by the stuff.”
    Both stated that the portrayal of their lieutenant colonel and sergeant major were very accurate, and the actors’ voices even sounded similar to the voices of the men. Ladner attended a private viewing of the film at Fort Benning, Ga., that was shown only to members of the 7th Calvary who were at X-ray.
    “I covered my face the entire time at the viewing and held my wife’s hand; I did not appreciate the accuracy of the film until I viewed it again at the local theatre,” Ladner explained. “It sure brought back a lot of memories-my nerves have been shot ever since I sat and really watched the film.”
    I would like to ask you to think about your freedom as you watch this film or any other war film you may see. Be sure to thank veterans for your freedom and invite them to tell you their stories. Some are reluctant to tell their stories, but for those of you who do have the opportunity to talk with a veteran, cherish the experience. Always respect veterans and hold a place in your heart for them-they were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to preserve what we hold sacred.