Student seeks hero from last year’s storm

One Mississippi State University student has an amazing story to tell, and perhaps a hero to find. Brad Pilgrim, a blind MSU student was caught outside and unable to help himself up during last year’s Feb. 16 storm, which had tornadic-like winds exceeding 100 mph and caused approximately $6 million worth of damage to the university.
    The derecho, which is a storm that has multiple couplets of wind, hit the Starkville area unannounced. Warning sirens rang in Starkville and neighboring communities as the fierce winds began to sweep through the area. Many people like Pilgrim found themselves quickly seeking shelter.
    Pilgrim said he heard earlier that Friday morning that there might be severe weather that afternoon. After his last class ended, he said he needed to go to the MSU Bookstore in the Colvard Student Union.
    Since it was only sprinkling at the time, Pilgrim said he thought he would have enough time to pick up what he needed and make his way back to his apartment in the University Commons before the predicted storm hit.
    He said he now realizes he was wrong.
    “My vision is such that I can tell if it is really, really dark, and it wasn’t that bad,” Pilgrim said. “So I decided to go on to my apartment. Suddenly the wind started blowing really hard. I didn’t think much of it, so I just kept on going. I was trying to get home before it started raining harder.”
    But the weather worsened and slowed his progress.
    “I decided maybe I had better go into Carpenter since it was right next door,” he said. “I was at the intersection just about to turn into Carpenter, beside a big oak tree when the wind just knocked me down. I sat for a moment and tried to get up, but the wind had me pinned to the ground. I had an umbrella in one hand and my cane in the other. The wind was trying to take the umbrella out of my hand, and I finally told the wind it could have my umbrella.”
    Unable to stand up against the fierce wind, Pilgrim, who suffers from asthma, said he began to hyperventilate.
    “I was trying to come to terms with things, and I had decided if that was my time, then that was my time. If not, then I would be OK because someone was protecting me,” he said.
    Then, in the midst of the wind and rain and the darkness Pilgrim lives in every day, there came what he called a helping hand.
    “Someone came up from behind me to help me up. He must have seen me from the window of McCain because they had gotten everyone in the hall.
    “I said, ‘I don’t know who you are, but I assume you are here to help me.'”
    Pilgrim said his mysterious hero guided him to the steps of McCain. By this time, he said he was confused and even in shock. With the help of another man, his rescuer dragged him up the stairs and into safety.
    Pilgrim said he thanked the man, and asked him what his name was. Pilgrim said he unfortunately only remembers that the man’s first name is Jose, but does not know what his last name is.
    When Brad’s mother, Cathy Pilgrim, saw the Feb. 15 story in The Reflector remembering last year’s storm, she immediately contacted The Reflector in hopes of printing a story to find Brad’s rescuer.
    “I still get chills just talking about it,” she said. “He didn’t even know my son. He just saw he was in danger, and there he went. There’s no doubt in my mind that the boy saved my son’s life.
    “He risked his own life to save Brad, and that’s pretty special. In my mind, he’s a hero. I want him to know how much I appreciate what he did for my son. There are no words to convey that,” Cathy Pilgrim added.
    Brad said he wants to find Jose again, as well.
    “I guess I would just like to thank him again for all that he did,” Brad said. “I know that my mom certainly wants to thank him, and that’s probably why she wants to track him down.”
    If anyone has any knowledge as to who Jose is, The Reflector, Brad and Cathy Pilgrim ask that person to contact The Reflector with the information.
    The Reflector news desk phone number is 325-5118, or e-mails may be sent to [email protected].