Students plan varied breaks

As the countdown to Spring Break edges closer and closer, thoughts of sunshine, beaches and snowcapped mountains fill students’ minds. This is no surprise, considering the fact that many students at Mississippi State University have Spring Break plans and cannot wait for them to begin. The most popular Spring Break location is the beach, where college students gather in herds to get their first tans, socialize in the bar scenes and lazy the days away.
    Students like Melinda Brett have had beach plans for weeks with a large group of people.
    “I’m going to Destin and staying at the Hilton,” Brett said. “I’m going with 30 people, and I only know three of them.”
    Others, like Carson Young, a sophomore from Tuscaloosa, Ala., have a trip planned with close friends.
    “Me and three of my friends are heading to San Destin,” Young said.
    Camille Meyer-Arendt, a sophomore at MSU, is also planning to head for the beach, but not on vacation. She’s going home to Pensacola, Fla.
    “I’m going home for Spring Break, and my best friend since ninth grade who goes to school in New York is flying to Florida to stay the week with me,” Meyer-Arendt said.
    Some MSU students have a sunny vacation planned without seeing any sand. Mary Virginia Morgan of Canton has a cruise planned.
    “I’m going home first, then driving to New Orleans the next day and leaving for a cruise on Sunday,” Morgan said.
    “I’m excited to be going with my friend, Caroline, and her family on the cruise. We’re going to Jamaica and Cozumel,” Morgan said.
    Another popular vacation spot includes lower temperatures. Students like Susan Fowler and Brooks West are going skiing in Colorado.
    “I’m going with a group of 15 people, but I only know seven of them,” Fowler, a freshman from Starkville, said. “Me and another friend are the only ones flying to Denver and then driving to Breckenridge.”
    Fowler, an expert skier who has been to several different skiing locations, said their ski plans came about one night after sitting around with a group of people and talking about how much they wanted to go skiing for Spring Break.
    “We were talking about it and finally said, ‘let’s just do it,’ and then we found cheap tickets.”
    West, a senior from Jackson, is driving with his family to Vail, Colo., which is over a 20-hour drive.
    “My family goes skiing almost every year,” West said. “I love the mountains, and the view is spectacular.”
    Freshmen Kim Locke and Ke’Yunte Bates are both planning to go to Chicago for Spring Break.
    “I’m going home to Chicago and shopping for clothes,” Locke said.
    Bates is going to Chicago with MSU’s Black Voices.
    “We’re staying five days and performing concerts all day,” Bates said.
    In addition to carefree vacations, some students are going to another country for Spring Break, not to bask in the sun, but to build houses and set up Bible schools for village children.
    Bethany Argo, a freshman from Starkville, is going to Honduras on a mission trip. This is Argo’s second time to visit Honduras.
    “Last year when I went, some awesome things happened,”Argo said. “We were singing a hymn, and we sang it in English, and the Honduras people began singing it in Spanish.”
    Argo said that she wanted to go back because the atmosphere makes her feel closer to God.
    “People there have nothing,” Argo said, “but yet they have so much faith. Instead of asking for medicine or material things, they ask for prayer.”
    Other students don’t have vacation plans, but still intend to go home for the anticipated week.
    Whitney Kearney of Greenwood and Michelle Winchester of Ohio are both excited about the week they will get to spend at home.
    “I’m going home to Greenwood and redoing my room,” Kearney said of her Spring Break plans.
    Winchester said, “I’m going to Ohio and relaxing. I can’t wait to hang out with my family and friends.”
    MSU students Rebecca McWhorter and Austin Shafer plan on visiting family across the country. McWhorter, a freshman from Jackson, is visiting her sister at the University of Arkansas.
    “My sister is going to be in school when I’m there, but hopefully, we can go shopping and hang out a lot,” McWhorter said.
    Shafer, a junior from Starkville, is flying to Pennsylvania to visit his grandfather.
    “I haven’t seen my grandfather in awhile, and I’m looking forward to spending some quality time with him, just me and Gramps,” Shafer said.
    Still other students are seeking jobs on their break.
    Genika Griffin of West Point is going to Seattle for an interview for an internship.
    “I’m nervous and excited about the interview, but I’m also visiting family in Seattle,” Griffin said.
    For those students who have nothing planned for Spring Break and intend on entertaining themselves in Starkville, there are several things you may need to know.
    Some of the residence halls will be closed, but Herbert Hall will be open for break housing, which will cost $10 per night or $80 for the week.
    “The dorms are closing Saturday (March 9) morning at 10,” Molly Cuicchi, president of the Residence Hall Association, said, “and they will be open again on March 17 at 2 p.m., but we are offering break housing at Herbert Hall.”
    Good news is in store if you are hoping to keep in shape this Spring Break.
    The Sanderson Center will be open from noon until 9 p.m., starting next Sunday, and will resume regular hours March 17.
    Perry Cafeteria is also staying open, but only Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.
    Whatever your Spring Break Plans may be, a fun day at the beach or lying on your couch at home, be ready to return to school, eager to learn, when it’s all over.