MTV brings Nickelback to MSU

For many students and alumni of Mississippi State University, Super Bulldog Weekend is a time to get together for some serious hibachi grill action in the Left Field Lounge. This time, when the last out is called in the bottom of the ninth and the last charcoals cool into oblivion, The Hump will start rocking with Nickelback. Nickelback will perform April 6 at Humphrey Coliseum as part of the MTV Campus Invasion Tour. The show starts at 8 p.m. with an opening act to be announced; however, the Canadian quartet will not be the only attraction at The Hump that day.
    “They’re (MTV) going to have an activity village outside with a lot of cool stuff,” Raymond Brooks, adviser of Music Maker Productions, said. “There will also be a smaller stage out front where some smaller, lesser-known bands will perform.”
    Nickelback is currently on tour in Europe, promoting their triple-platinum album, “Silver Side Up,” featuring the smash-hit, “How You Remind Me.”
    In the wake of disappointing turnouts to recent concerts such as Widespread Panic and Live/Counting Crows, Music Makers is in danger of severe budget cuts that could ultimately eliminate future concerts. However, Brooks is optimistic that Nickelback could be the event that strengthens Music Makers’ propensity for luring big-name acts.
    “We’ve had a lot of e-mails and phone calls requesting this band,” Brooks said.
    “They have an incredible new album, and their music draws you in,” MSU sophomore Erica Bumpers said.
    “Silver Side Up” is the follow-up to the band’s 2000 debut album, “The State,” which features the singles, “Breathe” and “Leader Of Men.”
    Vic Sumerall spent the summer of 2000 as a tour photographer for 3 Doors Down. Nickelback was the opening act for much of that tour, and Sumerall got plenty of exposure to their kind of show.
    “It’s killer,” Sumerall said. “Their shows aren’t so much mosh-pitting, but there’s definitely a lot of energy.”
    Although Nickelback has just recently become a household name with the success of “How You Remind Me,” Sumerall insisted that “The State” is right on the same par.
    “If they were as well-known, their first album would have sold a lot better,” Sumerall said. “Their best songs (on “Silver Side Up”) haven’t even been released as singles. That’s pretty good when not even your best stuff is the best thing out there.”
    Tickets are tentatively scheduled to go on sale March 6 at 10 a.m. All seating is reserved and cost $20 to the general public. There will be 1,000 reserved student tickets that cost $15, excluding floor seats, which will be $20. Student tickets will only be sold at the ticket booth at the Bryan Building. All other tickets can also be purchased at Ticket King outlets such as Bebop and may come with a small processing fee. Tickets can also be purchased online at www.ticketweb.com or by phone, 1-800-965-4827.
    For more information, check out the Music Makers Web site at www.msstate.edu/org/mmp.