American Idol talentless, brainless

Sometimes you get up in the morning and you just feel like singing. You sing in your shower, in your car and anywhere where no one can hear you.
    Why is that? Because you are realistic about your voice and you do not want to embarrass yourself or scare and annoy people around you.
    So what makes people take up a microphone, approach the stage, utter horrifying sounds and call it “singing?” What inspires people to believe they were born to be pop stars while in fact they are offensive to everyone?
    “American Idol”‘s fourth season got off to a tremendous start, with nearly 66 million viewers tuning in to see the auditions in Washington, D.C., and St. Louis (compared to 29 million viewers of the season debut last year).
    No other show today has attracted such a large audience. It has grabbed the third highest rated night of entertainment programming in the Fox network’s history.
    Fox entertainment president Gail Berman said, “We thought we would do well, but nothing like this.”
    Together, “American Idol 4″‘s two episodes ranked as the second and third most watched programs of the ratings week, trailing only after CBS’s Sunday night NFL American Football Conference title game.
    With continued success, some changes have been made in context of the show. Now an older generation has the chance to shine with the age limit extended from 24 to 28. Out of the finalists that make it to Hollywood, this time 24 get to move on in four episodes instead of the previous 32.
    Some essential elements remain the same, though. The show still features contestants who hopelessly think they can sing, a good portion of which should not be allowed to even audition.
    The show still features people who perkily think they can judge. Simon is back, telling people they are overweight, with Randy agreeing or disagreeing. Paula is back, and now she’s telling Randy and Simon to shut up.
    In general, the whole show makes you feel that life is hopeless and the end of the world is not far off.
    They tell you to tune in weekly every Tuesday and Wednesday at 8 p.m. to see the next William Hung bang and the next Kelly Clarkson “breakaway.” I’m just not going to waste my time.
    Rather than listening to tone-deaf incomprehensibles who serenade in languages unknown to the human race, I would rather go to Karaoke Night at The Hat (El Sombrero, for those of you not down with the lingo). Every Wednesday and Saturday the Hat hosts Starkville’s own equivalent to American Idol with no deluded chances of stardom, much more talented singers and people who embarrass themselves just for the fun of it. And anything’s better with Mexican food.
    Music is the shape of your heart. Music fills your everyday routine with some meaning and helps you to realize the beauty of this life. Unfortunately “American Idol” auditioners, with rare exceptions, are far from something that you can call music.
    Still, everybody makes his or her own choice to waste time on a “talent” contest or not. I made mine.
    Milana Karayanidi is a freshman in general business administration. She can be reached at [email protected].