Fields, Stewart to play in Senior Bowl

Offensive tackle David Stewart and defensive linemen Ronald Fields are not done with their collegiate careers just yet.
    Fields and Stewart have been invited to participate in the 2005 Senior Bowl at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala.The game is set to kickoff at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 29, and will be televised nationally on ESPN2.
    Stewart, a 6-foot-6, 317 pounder, only missed three starts in his career as a Bulldog, playing in 41 games and starting 38 of those.
    He was named honorable mention all-Southeastern Conference by the Associated Press after his senior year.
    “Very seldom do you ever see a player that is the total package,” said MSU strength and conditioning coach Jim Nowell, who is in the process of training Stewart for the NFL draft. “He’s got talent, ability, heart, determination, guts, courage, work ethic, you name it he’s got it.”
    He was no doubt the anchor of a young, inexperienced offensive line this year for State.
    A number of NFL scouts attended Bulldog practice throughout the year to eye both Fields and Stewart, who are expected to get drafted in the April NFL draft.
    “The scouts love (David),” Nowell said. “He’s high on a lot of their draft lists.”
    6-foot-2 306 pound Ronald Fields will join Stewart in the postseason all star game. Fields has earned 36 starts on the Bulldog defensive line and 24 straight to conclude his career.
    He has accounted for 172 tackles during his four year stint, 16.5 for losses and a quarterback sack.
    It is the 11th-consecutive season, and 15th in the last 16 years, that Mississippi State has placed at least one player in the Senior Bowl.