Campbell key to Bulldog success

-15 points against Arkansas
    -11 points against Mississippi
    -A double-double against South Carolina
    -12 points and nine rebounds against Virginia Tech
    Whose stats are these? Maybe Shane Power or Gary Ervin? Nope. Maybe even electric reserve Dietric Slater? Not him either. Those are the stats of Marcus Campbell.
    The somewhat lackluster center has stepped up his game since the Bulldogs have entered conference play.
    In the five games prior to Mississippi State’s Dec. 30 game against Virginia Tech, Campbell was averaging five points and five rebounds a game. What had become expected from the fans was an outing like he experienced against New Orleans. The 7-footer had four points and four rebounds in the non-conference game.
    But things are starting to change.
    “When I’m out there, I can’t make excuses. I have to do what I have to do,” said Campbell.
    In the last six games Campbell has averaged 10 points and over six rebounds. He has scored in double figures four of those six times. But more than his points and rebounds is the energy he brings to the floor.
    Many times early in the season, after a couple of missed shots or a turnover, Campbell would trot down the floor or shake his head in frustration. Now the senior center runs in transition and plays actively on both ends of the court.
    “That’s all we ever ask of Marcus Campbell, play hard and play with energy,” said MSU Head Coach Rick Stansbury. “When he does those two things everything else improves about him. He scores better because he’ll run in transition. He rebounds better.”
    Increased production from Campbell inside also takes defensive pressure off of Lawrence Roberts. Being MSU’s most explosive offensive threat draws two and sometimes even three defenders. But opposing teams cannot key on Roberts if Campbell has proven himself as a threat.
    “When he comes out and plays that hard and keeps the ball alive and finishes shot, he takes two defenders off of Lawrence,” said Power. “He really frees Lawrence up; that’s the biggest thing he can do.”
    Arkansas coach Stan Heath agrees with Power. His club keyed on Roberts, and Campbell burned them for 15 points on six of seven shooting.
    “We knew Lawrence Roberts was going to get his but Marcus Campbell was a big factor in that first half,” said Heath. “His height and his weight and just being around the basket converting is something we were hoping wouldn’t happen against us.”
    Prior to opening the conference schedule, questions of Campbell’s ability and value to the team were flying around. He has answered those questions. He has proven that he can produce against tough competition. He has proven that he can play with energy on both ends of the court.
    Now the question is whether he can do it game in and game out.
    “He’s got more potential in his little finger than I do in my entire body. It is just a matter of getting him to do it every single day,” said Power.
    Jennifer Edwards can be reached at [email protected].