Residents kick off new year

The Residence Hall Association introduced students to the RHA and its available positions at its convocation Wednesday evening.
    Timothy Jackson, who is entering his second year as RHA president, said the organization celebrated its 40th anniversary this year. This year’s theme is “The REAL RHA,” in which REAL is an acronym for Representing Emerging Active Leadership, Jackson said.
    “We’re looking for young leaders to come in and take over RHA,” Jackson said, addressing the audience at the convocation Wednesday evening.
    Several positions are available at every residence hall on campus. Positions include president, vice presidents of activities, communication, dents of activities, communication, external affairs and finance. Delegates serve on each vice presdient’s committee, and anyone who is not elected to another position may serve as a delegate.
    “McKee had 10 or 15 delegates,” Jackson said.
    Forms of intent to run for a residence hall position are due Aug. 30 by 5 p.m., and they must be turned in to candidates’ residence hall director.
    Elections will run from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sept. 6, with a run-off, if necessary, the next day.
    The RHA will hold a mandatory workshop Sept. 9-10 for anyone elected to a position.
    Ashley Priebe, a junior majoring in secondary education and a resident of Hull, said she has reservations about being involved in the Residence Hall Association because she isn’t sure how much time she’ll be able to give to the organization.
    “I want to be in the Residence Hall Association, but I feel like I don’t have enough time to take on a lot of responsibility, so I just want to be a delegate,” Priebe said.
    Laurin Spann, a junior majoring in Architecture, said she also wants to be involved in the Residence Hall Association.
    “I want to meet people in Hull,” Spann said.
    RHA has several events planned for this year, including a tailgate party next weekend at 2 p.m. in front of the State Fountain Bakery. Last year, over 700 people attended the tailgate, and RHA expects even more people this year, Jackson said.
    Another big event for the year is the MARHS (Mississippi Association of Resident Hall Students) 2006 Conference, an annual event that the University hosts every three or four years on rotation. Jeremy Johnson, a junior majoring in Chemical Engineering, is the MARHS Conference Chair, and expects a great deal of preparation for the event.
    “We’re going to have different programming sessions [and] different activities,” Johnson said.