New faces dot secondary

Last season the secondary was a source of strength for the Bulldogs, finishing fourth in the SEC in pass yards allowed. This season they will hope to become even more disruptive to opposing aerial attacks with added depth, a better grasp of the game plan, and a more confident attitude.
    “There is not one single guy on that defense that is intimidating,” head coach Sylvester Croom said, “but as a group, they are like a bunch of bumblebees around that football.”
    The squad has two new faces at safety, sophomore DeMario Bobo, and junior Jeramie Johnson. Bobo, who spent time mostly at cornerback last season, switched to strong safety in the spring. He recorded 27 tackles last year, and is poised for a breakout season.
    Johnson, returning to his role in the free safety slot, has developed an instinct for reading quarterbacks. He finished last season second on the team with three interceptions in addition to his 23 tackles.
    “At safeties, Johnson and Bobo came back after starting in the spring, and they’ve done pretty good,” defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said. “Bobo was slowed a little bit with a concussion, but that helped give (De’Mon) Glanton his reps which certainly helped him improve.”
    Johnson remains skeptical of the depth at safety, however, citing lack of experience.
    “I think there’s a drop off to the next two. Glanton and (Marcus) Evans would be next. We’ve been really pleased with Grailen Johnson; he’s had a real good camp,” Johnson said. “The two freshmen Kyles and Bell had done ok, right now they just need a lot of reps. Jonathan Hill, one of the other walk-ons, had a good camp. I feel like I could put him in a game and maybe get five or ten plays from him. But I do feel like right now there’s a little bit of a depth problem at safety.”
    The cornerback position on the other hand, is blooming with depth.
    Senior Kevin Dockery has started in 26 games for the Bulldogs in his three seasons in maroon, amassing 142 tackles. He will lock up the left side of the field while David Heard, a junior from Vicksburg, will anchor the right. Heard started eight contests for the Bulldogs last season, playing a significant role in all eleven, recording 31 tackles and an interception.
    The experience of the two starting cornerbacks is vital, yet the speed of the two freshmen that will spell them will make the unit a tough one to penetrate.
    Keith Fitzhugh, a Georgia native, and Derek Pegues, a Parade All-American from South Panola High School, are true freshmen with much to learn about the defensive schemes and game speeds at the collegiate level. However, with their 4.4 forty-yard dash times, they are considered serious backups to their elder counterparts.
    “We all looked at those 40 (yard dash) times and thought that Fitzhugh and Pegues would win those jobs,” Johnson said, “but Dockery and Heard have been excellent, and right now they are definitely starters.
    Fitzhugh and Pegues will be great backups, they’re just not as consistent as those older guys. Jamal Johnson has given us some pretty good play at corner just like he did last year. He’s a good cover guy that we might can use in our third down package. Overall, I think we’ve got more bodies that we trust than this time last year.”