Women’s golf has strong final round, places fifth

The Mississippi State women’s golf team fired an 896 and finished in fifth place this past weekend at Kentucky’s Wildcat Invitational. MSU topped all 15 teams in the final round, pacing all teams with a 290. The team score was the lowest recorded one-round total for State since last fall at the Chrysler ACC/SEC Challenge.
    All-SEC junior Amanda Mathis paced MSU in all three rounds of the tournament. Mathis tied a career record, shooting a three-round total of 218 and finished in a tie for second.
    “I was pretty happy with the way I played,” Mathis said. “I hit the ball well and had a pretty good tournament. I would have liked to had defended my title from last year, but I couldn’t quite get it.”
    Three other Lady Bulldogs set career records this weekend. Senior Stephanie Godare tied a career record with her three-round score of 224 and set a career mark with a 71 in the third round, finishing in a tie for 13th.
    Ashleigh Korzack finished in a tie for 16th and set a new career mark with a three-round total of 225 and tied her previous best one-round score of 74 in the final round.
    In the second tournament of her career, redshirt freshman Marli Mikulecky set a new three-round record, shooting a 230 and finished in a tie for 28th. Sophomore Julia Huh rounded out the scoring for MSU, shooting a 240.
    “The team is now at the midway mark of the fall season and has shown a lot of promise for the events to come,” head coach Christi Sanders said. “The top three players (Amanda, Stephanie, and Ashleigh) have been very consistant in the individual competiton, which obviously helps the team score out tremendously. What I am looking for out of the rest of the players is the same consistency.”
    The University of Florida won the team title, shooting an 881 and finished 10 strokes ahead of second-place North Carolina.
    MEN’S GOLF
    The MSU men’s golf team traveled to Memphis, Tenn., this past week to compete in the Memphis Intercollegiate. The Bulldogs fired a three-round 886 to finish in eighth place and only five strokes out of second.
    MSU found themselves in 11th place after two rounds of play on Monday but battled back on Tuesday in the final round to shoot one-under par as a team.
    “I was pleased with the way we finished strong,” said MSU head coach Clay Homan. “We have to put three good rounds together and continue work on our short game.”
    The Bulldogs were led by Memphis native Logan Young who finished in seventh after shooting a one-under par 217. Michael Knight shot a five-over 221 to finish in a tie for 16th along with MSU freshman Carlos Sains Jr.