Bring Maroons back to State

“Bulldogs.”
    The word probably automatically makes you think of our beloved Mississippi State athletic teams or just the university.
    Why? Because we are surrounded by the term. We are constantly bombarded by MSU Bulldog logos and paraphernalia.
    When we, as MSU students, go through orientation, we are welcomed to the Bulldog family. Bulldogs and Mississippi State go hand in hand.
    But Bulldogs also goes hand in hand with 38 other colleges and universities across the nation, according to www.smargon.net/nicknames, including schools such as University of Georgia, Fresno State University, Yale University, Louisiana Tech University, Gonzaga University and even Mississippi’s own Tougaloo College.
    I could keep going, but I think you get the picture. What makes our Bulldogs different from any other school’s Bulldogs?
    Bulldogs is the third most commonly used nickname in America among colleges and universities, only behind Tigers and Eagles.
    The simple fact of the matter is that calling ourselves Bulldogs simply isn’t unique.
    When Mississippi State University was known as Mississippi State College in 1932, the athletic teams were known as the Maroons because of their uniform color, according to mstateathletics.com.
    Prior to that, when the school was known as Mississippi A&M, Aggies was the official nickname. The three nicknames-Bulldogs, Maroons and Aggies-have all been used interchangeably for MSU’s athletes since 1905, but we officially became known as the Bulldogs in 1961, not long after MSC became MSU.
    We should go back to being the Maroons. What is a Maroon, you may ask? Your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea what a Maroon literally is, other than the color, but I know it would probably strike fear into the hearts of our opponents because of its mystery.
    At least it sounds cool, and at least it’s more unique than Bulldogs. Only two other schools in the nation are nicknamed Maroons and those are University of Chicago and Roanoke College.
    Don’t get me wrong. As long as Mississippi State’s mascot is Bully, and as long as we are known as Bulldogs, I will forever be proud to call myself one. I will bleed Maroon and White for as long as I live, and I have as much school spirit as the next guy. I love the Dawgs.
    I have to admit, at least we aren’t crazy with our nickname. Bulldogs is good. Maroons is good, too. Some colleges’ and universities’ actual nicknames aren’t even intimidating. They’re just funny and sometimes weird.
    Needless to say, they are some of the least common. The University of California in Santa Cruz boasts the nickname Banana Slugs, while Pittsburg State University in Kansas is known as the Gorillas.
    One of my personal favorites is Coastal Carolina University, who calls themselves the Chanticleers. If you haven’t read “The Canterbury Tales,” you may have no idea what a Chanticleer is.
    And Delta State call themselves the Fighting Okra.
    With these nicknames floating about, I’m happy with being a Bulldog or a Maroon any day.
    Living in a fashion age that loves vintage and throwback clothing, I really don’t understand why Mississippi State apparel makers haven’t created some T-shirts that sport the whole idea of the old-school Mississippi State Maroons. I think that’s money waiting to be made. I’d sport it.
    To me, being a Bulldog just doesn’t mean as much when there are at least 38 other schools that call themselves Bulldogs, too.
    What’s the point, and where’s the individuality? If we’re all Bulldogs, then we might as well not have nicknames at all.
    And the joking phrase, “I’ll bet the Bulldogs win,” when MSU plays Georgia just gets old.
    But what about Bully? He’s too cute to get rid of, right? And there is way too much tradition behind him to just throw away. Not to fear, readers! We can keep him! We could even keep the Bulldog logo and symbol and still be called the Maroons.
    Take Iowa State University, the University of Miami and the University of Alabama, for example.
    Iowa State’s nickname is Cyclones, but uses a cardinal, fittingly named Cy, as itsmascot. The Miami Hurricanes use Sebastian the ibis (a white seabird) as their mascot.
    Even Alabama’s Crimson Tide uses Big Al the elephant to represent its school.
    Why doesn’t MSU follow in those schools’ footsteps, change our name to Maroons but keep Bully and the whole Bulldog image? We should definitely do it.
    You just can’t go wrong with being the Maroons. It’s unique. It’s MSU tradition-friendly, and we get to keep Bully. Everybody wins.
    Go ‘Roons!