Golf teams finish fall season on high note

The Mississippi State men’s golf team closed out the 2005 fall season this past weekend, finishing in a tie for sixth at the Tunica National Invitational.
    The tournament, originally scheduled to be played in Baton Rouge, was moved to the par-72 7,210-yard Tunica National Golf Course due to Hurricane Katrina.
    State was led by redshirt freshman Logan Young who played as an individual. Young, a native of Memphis, Tenn., finished in third place with a three round score of 222.
    “I just wanted to end the fall season on a positive note,” Young said. “This was the highest finish of my career, and I think it will give me some momentum going into the spring season.”
    The top finisher for MSU in the team competition was freshman Carlos Sains Jr. who finished in a tie for 11th. Sains fired a 228 for the event and led the Bulldogs in the final round with a 74.
    Freshman Matt Fast and junior Jake Lambert both shot a 231 and finished in a tie for 22nd.
    Junior Josh Oller shot a 235 and finished in a tie for 39th while freshman Noah Goldman rounded out the scoring with a 243.
    Southern Methodist University won the team title by two strokes, shooting a 905 (+41). Colorado’s Edward McGlasson won the individual competition, finishing at four over par.
    MSU closed out the fall season finishing in the top 10 of its last four events.
    The spring season will begin Feb. 13-14 in Orlando, Fla., at the University of Central Florida/Rio Pinar Country Club Intercollegiate.
    Women’s
    Mississippi State women’s golf team fired a 920 and finished in fifth place this past weekend at the Chrysler Challenge in Sandestin, Fla. The three-day tournament played at the Raven Golf Club featured seven teams, including six from the Southeastern Conference.
    The Lady Bulldogs were led by all-SEC junior Amanda Mathis, who fired a 223 and finished in fourth place. The fourth-place finish for Mathis was her fourth in the top 10 and third in the top five this fall.
    “Amanda had some difficult holes this weekend,” head coach Christi Sanders said. “However, she fought through them and finished on a good note.”
    Senior Stephanie Godare shot a three-round 228 to finish in 14th. Ashleigh Korzack shot a 234 and finished tied for 19th while sophomore Julia Huh finished in a tie for 26th with a 235. Redshirt freshman Marli Mikulecky finished in a tie for 39th, shooting a 246.
    South Carolina, who led by 17 strokes entering the final round, held off a charge by Florida and won the team competition by one stroke. Alabama’s Jenny Suh recorded a final round of 69 to win the individual competition by eight strokes.
    The Chrysler Challenge concluded fall play for the Lady Bulldogs. MSU will begin spring competition at the Papa Johns Collegiate Golf Tournament on Feb. 19-21.