Freshman leads women’s tennis

The Mississippi State women’s tennis team closed out fall competition this past weekend at the SEC Fall Coaches Classic in Peachtree City, Ga.
    Six Lady Bulldogs competed in singles competition in two divisions while three doubles teams competed in two doubles divisions. Freshman Daniela Juskova highlighted the Lady Bulldogs in the first two rounds.
    Juskova won her first two matches to advance to the semifinals of Division C singles. Five Lady Bulldogs dropped their opening round matches.
    The doubles team of Anastasia Kugakolova and Elna De Villiers won their opening match of the tournament defeating South Carolina’s Gira Schofeld and Natasa Vuckovic 8-6. The lone singles victory in consolation on day three for MSU came from Tatiana Feit as she knocked off Mississippi’s Claire Conerly 6-0, 6-1.
    On the final day of action for MSU, the Lady Bulldogs registered six victories. In Division A singles, 89th-ranked Kugakolova knocked off Georgia’s Kelley Hyndman 6-3, 6-0. In Division C singles, freshman Daniela Juskova won a 6-3, 6-2 decision over Auburn’s Ashley Cowart.
    In doubles, De Villiers and Kugakolova defeated Alabama’s Andrea Brenes and Mari Muller 9-8. In division B doubles, the doubles team of Ren‹¨ Joseph and Polina Kokoulina defeated Ksenia Tokarieva and Nika Koukhartchouk of Ole Miss 8-6.
    The Lady Bulldogs will begin their spring season on Feb. 2 when they play host to University of Houston at the AJ Pitts Tennis Center on the MSU campus.