Festival highlights Brazilian culture, music

Students will experience Brazilian culture and music in a three-day festival this week.
    The festival is usually centered on a certain instrument, and the guest artist and the faculty’s choice of music reflects that choice. This year’s event will showcase the guitar.
    Special guest Thomas Garcia, associate professor of music at the University of West Georgia in Carrollton, received his doctorate in performance practice from Duke University. Garcia is a musicologist, ethnomusicologist, guitarist and lutanist. He is also a solo and chamber music performer who specializes in Brazilian music.
    The music festival will consist of a lecture discussing Brazilian music, a concert including Garcia and faculty, a master class taught by Garcia and a student’s recital showcasing MSU’s musicians. The master class will be the only event not open to the public.
    Faculty performers include Rosangela Sebba, Michael Patilla, Elaine Peterson and Sheri Falcone.
    Rosangela Sebba, assistant of piano and music theory, describes the importance of the festival. “The purpose of the festival is to get people to experience popular and classical Brazilian music. It also gives them a chance to experience the culture.”
    Organizing an event such as this takes time and must be thoroughly planned. “Grants must be applied for because the music department cannot pay for the event itself,” Sebba said.
    Advertising for the festival is a big part of its success. “Every high school and college in Mississippi received a poster that outlined the festival. Posters were also sent to schools in Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia,” Sebba said.
    “The audience should leave the festival excited and wanting more. It will be a good experience for all,” saxophone and clarinet instructor Sheri Falcone said.
    The difference between Brazilian music is the rhythm. “Brazilian music has dance-like rhythm. The harmony in the music is exotic and distinct. It is just a different style of music. It is a hard type of music to play, but not any harder than American music,” Falcone said.
    The Mississippi State music department will run its fourth annual Brazilian Music Festival at 2 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday and Friday at 7:30 p.m.