Night Route grows

The number of weekly riders on the Night Route has more than doubled since the service returned in January, but some behavior problems have occurred.
    The Night Route, a weekend shuttle service that carries students around Starkville, has given more than 2,414 rides since it began again Jan. 27.
    “People are really finally getting used to it and making it a part of their evening plans,” SA executive assistant Seth Stephenson said.
    Stephenson said people only rode the Night Route to their homes initially.
    “Now we’ve got an increase of people riding it out in the evening, so now cars are out of the picture, and that’s sort of the goal of the night route: public transportation,” he said.
    However, Stephenson said people should show more respect for the bus drivers and follow the rules when riding the Night Route. Students should remember that bus drivers are not supposed to go off the route.
    “The SA is paying to rent these buses from MSU, and the university is cooperating, but they don’t owe us anything, so don’t take it for granted,” he said.
    Stephenson said one or two fights had broken out on the Night Route, and that students should help riders who need help getting off the bus or getting home.
    “We’re all a big MSU family, and we need to take care of each other,” he said.
    “We’re not having major problems,” MSU transportation coordinator Mike Harris said.
    Harris said it gives people who don’t have transportation on campus an opportunity to enjoy the city’s restaurants and stores.
    “We’re carried more people this semester than we ever have before,” Harris said.
    Stephenson said he attributes the success of the Night Route this spring to good planning. Since spring 2004 was the first semester it ran, the SA looked
    at that semester, asked students what they thought and made changes.
    The Night Route now travels to apartment complexes, runs later and focuses on the downtown area, Stephenson said. Currently, two buses run the route.
    “We put a lot of thought into the actual route itself so that people could actually get from where they’re going from to where they’re going to,” he said.
    SA president-elect Jon David Cole said he plans on continuing the Night Route in the fall and will begin financing it immediately.
    “Because of the success, we think that sponsors will be easier to come by,” Cole said.
    Cole hopes to find stable financing for the service.
    “We want to provide it with the stability to continue with confidence for semesters to come,” he said.
    Cole said the new director of financial support will concentrate on raising money for the Night Route as well as events such as the Bulldog Bash.
    The SA is looking at expanding the Night Route to Miss. Highway 12 because businesses on the highway had expressed interest, although the route would probably not be connected to the downtown route except on campus, Cole said.
    “We’ve had great numbers this year and such great success that will give it momentum,” Stephenson said.
    Cole said the SA is considering a Night Route club that Starkville businesses can join and pay monthly dues.
    “We appreciate everyone riding this year, and because of the community and the student support for it, we expect for it to continue in the future,” Stephenson said.
    The Night Route runs Thursday from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. and Friday and Saturday from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m.