‘Chaos Theory’ an instant classic

Author Tom Clancy has made millions of dollars using his name as a licensing tool for movies, videogames and even books he never wrote. However, the Splinter Cell franchise, which Clancy basically has no part of in the first place, puts his name on the back burner.
    The Splinter Cell series revolves around Sam Fisher, a spy for the U.S. government. His operations are so classified that even the president sometimes isn’t informed of what Fisher is up to.
    The third installment of the series, Chaos Theory, puts Fisher in the middle of a conspiracy in which American computer nerds hack into military defense systems and single-handedly cause war between America, Japan, and the Koreas. Sam’s mission is to stop the chaos before it truly gets out of hand.
    As with previous Splinter Cell titles, the story involves many plot twists. While Chaos Theory’s story is a little convoluted, it still enthralls gamers and keeps them on edge.
    As Fisher, your objective is to be a shadow, and while it is not required, it adds tension and boosts your rating at the end of each level.
    Also, gamers have the ability to choose Fisher’s arsenal. Players can go the stealth route, the assault route or they can use a recommended mix of the two, which is not always the best choice.
    At first, Chaos Theory sounds pretty much like the other Splinter Cell titles, but in reality, it is way better than it’s predecessors. In fact, Chaos Theory is the highest rated game in Xbox history, even beating out the much-praised Halo series, and it shows.
    Unlike characters in many other games, Fisher’s foes and allies have a true sense of personality. Even Fisher himself seems to be real at times. If players sneak up on a character and grab him, he will beg for his life as his eyes dart desperately and he drops his weapon. The best thing is, Fisher has a choice whether or not to comply with the poor guys’ wishes. Fisher can interrogate them, then he can either put enemies in a sleeper hold or give them a quick jab in the back with a knife. Of course, letting them live is always the best choice.
    Another amazing feature the game offers is Fisher’s acrobatic skills. Fisher can climb poles, hang off of horizontal pipes and jump up between walls so that he can drop down onto an enemy. Or, he can hang upside-down on a pipe and snap an unsuspecting enemies neck. Again, the choices are endless.
    The gameplay is assisted by the most gorgeous, realistic graphics ever to graze a television screen. Walls look touchable, plants, flags and other objects flow with the wind and people look like they are alive.
    Interactivity is another huge thing the game has to offer. Need some darkness? Shoot out the lights. Want to save your bullets? Just use the light switch instead. If the light is from a candle, simply blow it out. Every computer is hackable, every stereo or television can be turned off or on and every standalone object can be utilized.
    This game is, in every way, absolutely perfect. My only complaint is that the experience didn’t last longer.
    But wait! After beating the solo story, players can grab a buddy and play a totally different co-op story with new levels and abilities. Players work together to perform acrobatic moves. They also cover one another if foes grow wise to their doings. The co-op story is short but sweet, but it is a great addition to the franchise.
    Online multiplayer is a gem as well. As in Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, the sequel to the original, players team up for a two-on-two spy-vs.-mercenary funfest.
    Spies must complete objectives such as shutting down computer mainframes, diffusing warheads and disabling virus-containing capsules before they can be released into the air. Spies must be wary of mercenaries, who carry an arsenal of deadly weapons.
    Mercenaries play with a first-person perspective, scouting out spies with heat, electromagnetic and movement-sensing vision. Mercs must guard their objects while trying to take out the pesky little spies.
    Both modes provide hours of online fun. However, the Gamecube version doesn’t offer online multiplayer and the Playstation 2 version is sub-par compared to the Xbox Live experience.
    The game as a whole is great on every console, but the Xbox version has the most to offer.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a casual gamer or a hardcore gamer. Chaos Theory is a must-have for owners of all consoles. With the perfect balance of gameplay and graphics, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is an unforgettable classic.