Super Bulldog Weekend

Although some rain kicked in over the weekend, it didn’t stop MSU fans from celebrating a spring tradition-Super Bulldog Weekend.
    The Campus Activities Board kicked off the weekend early by sponsoring the third annual Down in the District Thursday night. Organizers moved the show, which featured Nash Street, Tim Reynolds and the Benji Davis Project, to Rick’s Caf because of rain.
    “We had a really good turnout at the Down in the District this year,” said Brynn Burns, CAB student director, “Normally we would have it in the Cotton District next to Roxy’s, but the move to Rick’s turned out great and the bands were awesome.”
    “We look forward to having the fourth annual Down in the District concert next year,” Burns added.
    The MSU Fan Fair, held in the MSU Amphitheater Saturday, also went smoothly, organizers said. This was opportunity for fans to get a taste of MSU and all it had to offer.
    Both mascots posed for photos, children enjoyed inflatibles and games, student athletes signed autographs and the book store sold MSU merchandise.
    “The fan fair was opportunity for the fans to do something a little different,” said Mike Richey, assistant athletics director, “We were very pleased.”
    Another weekend hit was the 20th Annual Pig Cooking Contest. There were 23 different teams, with 15 competing in three different divisions: Whole Hog, Shoulder and Rib. First, second and third place winners were selected in each category as well as an overall winner with 33 judges to make the decision.
    The first place winners included the Bulldog Burners from Starkville, Sly and the Family Sauce from Amory, Miss., and the Bad Dogs Barbeque Crew from Starkville taking home first place in the rib division and also the overall competition with head cook, David Lomen.
    Second and third place winners included Big on the Pig, Starkville; Smoky G’s, Baldwin; Pork Engineers, MSU; Smokin’ Guns, Canton; Heavenly Hogs, Starkville; and the Dawg Pound Porkers, Baldwin.
    Charles R. Power, president of the Mississippi Pork Producers Association, presented the trophies to each team.
    “We really appreciate them taking time out to help us with this,” said Mark Crenshaw, associate extension professor of animal and dairy science, “We couldn’t have done it without them.”
    Finally, the weekend was wrapped in MSU baseball. The Dawgs claimed victory in the three-game series against Auburn with a win on Friday, 4-1, a loss on Saturday, 8-7, and a final win for State on Sunday, 4-0. More than 25,000 people attended games at Dudy Noble field this weekend.