Groups schedule weekend events

This weekend marks the 19th annual Super Bulldog Weekend. The MSU Alumni Association, department of athletics and other campus groups have planned events for students, faculty, alumni and the community.
    “Super Bulldog Weekend is like our spring homecoming for our alumni,” Alumni Activities associate director Libba Andrews said. “It has become a tradition. It is a way for us to show off Mississippi State and a way for alumni to reminisce.”
    Events for the weekend include class reunions, departmental receptions, alumni meetings, exhibits and more. However, there are also events geared toward students.
    The weekend got an early start Thursday night with the Campus Activities Board’s Down in the District. This event was supposed to be in the Cotton District, but was moved to Rick’s Caf because of weather conditions. The concert featured the Benjy Davis project, Tim Reynolds and Nash Street.
    “Down in the District is a way for us to entertain the faculty, students and the community.” CAB student director Brynn Burns said. “The first year we hosted the event we had about 2,500 people attend; last year we had 6,000. This year we are looking for about 10,000.”
    The 20th Pig Cooking Contest will be held today at 8 a.m. in the grassy area west of Scott Field. Judging for the event will be Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon.
    Some of the weekend’s events cater to children, especially Saturday’s Fan Fair. The fair will begin at 9 a.m. Fan Fair features include inflatables, along with Bully the Mascot and autograph signing by MSU athletes.
    “The Fan Fair will be set up similar to the way it is for home games,” assistant athletic director Mike Richey said. “It will be a fun event for the children to attend.”
    The athletics department will participate in the festivities. The football team will hold their yearly spring football game, which will be in Davis Wade Stadium at 1 p.m. Saturday. ESPN 2 will televise the game.
    The baseball team will play Thursday, Friday and Saturday against Auburn at Dudy Noble Field.
    The final event for the weekend will be the Starkville/MSU Community Band and Symphonic Band Concert. The concert starts Sunday at 3 p.m. in McComas Hall. Associate music professor Robert Damm will be a special guest at the concert. The community band is sponsored by the department of continuing education.