Dean visits Jackson

Former presidential hopeful Howard Dean will kick off his first major fund-raiser since taking over the top spot for the Democratic National Committee in Jackson today.
    “People really want to get a close-up view of the successful, charismatic and energetic Howard Dean and hear his plans for the nation-specifically how the Democratic Party will take over the South,” said Claude McInnis, executive vice chairman of the Mississippi Democratic Party.
    Several members of the MSU College Democrats plan to attend the dinner.
    “Chairman Dean has the passion and ability to move our party forward,” College Democrats President Brandon Bogard said. “It’s great for us here at MSU because he will pay attention to us also.”
    During his address, Dean will give thanks to Mississippi’s elected officials and address Democratic issues, specifying what he intends to do for Mississippi and the rest of the country.
    More than 80 counties have been contacted to attend the event, including the Oktibbeha County Democrats. Dean’s audience will also include high school and college students and many political figures including former Mississippi governors Ronnie Musgrove and William Winters and Congressman Benny Thompson (D-Miss.).
    “People want to show appreciation and support for Democrats, especially when it comes to our schools and Medicaid, and this event is a perfect opportunity to give back a little,” said Dorothy Benford, a field office support coordinator for the Mississippi’s Democratic Party Headquarters.
    The Mississippi Republican Party sent an e-mail to people on its mailing list Monday listing the “Top 10 Reasons Howard Dean is Wrong for the Magnolia State.”
    “Dean Wants To Remove Ten Commandments From Government Buildings,” was the top reason on the list. The list also said Dean supports abortion rights groups and stereotypes Southerners.
    Other College Democrats, including students from the University of Southern Mississippi, Alcorn University, the University of Mississippi and Jackson State, will be represented also. A number of students will serve as the hosts and hostesses at the receptions.
    Events will begin at 5:30 p.m. in the Clarion Hotel and Convention Center. Admission to the dinner is $50 for students and $75 for non-students.