‘The 5th Wave’ brings apocalypse to life

The sci-fi action film “The 5th Wave,” starring Chloë Grace Moretz, Matthew Zuk and Gabriela Lopez premiered in theaters last Friday.

J. Blakeson, a man who usually directs thrillers, directed “The 5th Wave,” reaching a new height in his career with the production of the movie.

According to the movie, TV show and celebrity database IMDB, “The film is rated PG-13 for violence and destruction, some sci-fi thematic elements, language and brief teen partying.” The movie has a running time of 112 minutes.

The movie is about lead character Cassie (Moretz) and her fight for survival for her little brother. Four deadly waves of alien destruction have come upon Earth and the 5th wave is soon to come to destroy the rest of those who survived the first four waves. Cassie (Moretz) is on the run from “the others” in hopes to save her brother.

“The 5th Wave” brought a new idea to the end of the world, apocalyptic style movies. The idea was that “the others” brought destruction and found a way to use the humans to destroy the rest of those living. 

Consequence of Sound, (COS), writer Allison Shoemaker believes the aliens used an interesting approach to wipe out humanity. 

“After destruction, pestilence, darkness, floods and faults, the humans have one more thing ripped from them,” Shoemaker said. “The ability to trust each other.”

This new concept of destroying humanity may be what keeps the movie tickets selling. 

The movie was based off Rick Yancey’s young-adult novel, “The 5th Wave.” Those who read the novel may be disappointed about the film. The film leaves out much of the detail the book portrays.

Peter Travers, writer for “Rolling Stone,” wrote he enjoyed the 2013 novel, but was disappointed with the outcome of the film.

“There was something in “The 5th Wave” that seemed salvageable when and if the book made it to the big screen. I was wrong,” Travers wrote.

The action movie is entertaining for all audiences, including those who have not read the book.