Bulldog Bash sparks pride among students

With a location set, Bulldog Bash is progressing as usual. Starkville residents and Mississippi State University students were excited to hear the announcement last week that the concert will remain in the Cotton District. 

Students are becoming increasingly excited as the date draws nearer. Many already have their plans set for the evening. Taylor Stevens, first-year transfer student from Hamilton, Mississippi, said he has been looking forward to it for quite some time.

“This is the first year that I get to experience Bulldog Bash as an actual bulldog,” Stevens said. I’ve been a State fan since I was a kid, but I’ve always had to make a trip to Starkville for events like this. I’ve already made plans for that weekend, I’m pumped to say the least.”

2016 Director of Bulldog Bash for Music Maker Productions, Alex Coats, said this year will be a little different. He said the stage will be on the opposite side of the Cotton District from its normal location, and that it will face the university. Other changes include the possibility of a day stage.

“We’re looking at doing a day stage this year, which is something that we haven’t done in the past,” Coats said. “There will be music probably from 2-6 or so, with local artists. We’re still in the process of figuring all those details out.”

The day stage will be during the Maroon Market, which has been a part of Bulldog Bash in the past where local vendors set up. Sara Luther, senior communications major, said Bulldog Bash has a special place in her heart.

“I remember I was stuck choosing between two different colleges during my senior year of high school,” Luther said. “After I attended Bulldog Bash back in 2012, I knew Mississippi State was the place for me. Bulldog Bash is just one example of an admirable way the university works with students and the city of Starkville.”

Bulldog Bash is more than just a concert to many students and Starkville residents; it is a tradition. This year will be the 17th year for Bulldog Bash to be hosted at MSU. Brianna Dyess, junior kinesiology major summed up her feelings in a few short words.

“Bulldog Bash is our weekend, that and Super Bulldog Weekend. It’s what makes us who we are,” Dyess said. “It’s what makes us dawgs.”

Students are excited to hear what artists will be playing this year. Coats refused to verify or deny any rumors about who is playing but simply said that things are going smoothly and that he is very excited about this year. 

“We’re in a good place, we have an artist booked and almost have the line up filled out,” Coats said. “I have the privilege of being Bulldog Bash director for two years in a row and at times it’s been extremely stressful, sometimes mind-numbingly painful, but there is nothing like Bulldog Bash. It’s an incredible thing to be a part of.”

Bulldog Bash will be held on Oct. 7 on University Drive near Nash Street.