TK Martin center hosts run

Kayleigh Phillips | The Reflector

TK Martin Center will be hosting their sixth annual fun run to raise money in a effort to further provide services for persons with disabilities.

The T.K. Martin Center for Technology and Disability’s annual fun run will be held this Friday, Sept. 30. This year’s race will be called the “Super Fun Run” to match its super hero theme.  
  The run was originally put on five years ago to give students and families of the T.K. Martin Center recognition to encourage them and acknowledge the services provided at the center. The center’s run still abides by this general purpose, according to special educator at T.K. Martin Traci Campbell.  While this is the motivation behind the event, the fundraising aspect of it is a necessity because the center does not generate any profits from the people for whom it provides its services.  
   The programs the center offers include an early childhood special education program that works with 42 different students. Campbell said funds are necessary for working with this many children because the center uses “standers” for those who are not yet weight-bearing on their feet and “key, assistive technology.”  The center also works on issues with feeding, so different snacks are necessary to work with the children on that particular skill.  
  Toys and art supplies were listed among other things the center needs throughout the year. On top of the expenses for these necessary objects, the center offers occupational, physical and speech therapy in addition to the instruction they receive under teachers and the two teacher assistants for each of the four classrooms, making this fundraiser vital for the successful continuation of the T.K. Martin Center.  
    According to Campbell, to take part in the event, the general public can participate in the run or simply cheer. 
  “The cheer stations set this apart from any other kind of run,” Campbell said. “When you know that you’re out there, and the money that you give and the support you’re giving goes to these kids.” 
Judy Duncan, case manager of the T.K. Martin Center, said the center is an assistive technology center.
  “We do evaluations for people with disabilities who need to know what kind of wheel-chair, adaptive driving equipment, communication device, [or] adaptive computer equipment they need,” Duncan said.
The center does assessments and evaluations to let people with disabilities test equipment and get a feel for what works best for them.  The center is unique in this particular field, so it sees people throughout the entire state of Mississippi.  
    “Everything that we do is providing services to people with disabilities,” Duncan said. “Through assistive technology, our preschool program, our art program, [among] other things.”  
   The T.K. Martin Center serves people from newborns to adults, and anyone in between, who are in need of technology to function.
    Administrative assistant Wanda Brett explained the passion and vision of the T.K. Martin center as a whole.  
  “The work that we do here, you’re affecting, you’re changing someone’s life, whether that be a child who is two years old or be an adult that’s 60 or 70,” Brett said. “You’re making a better life for them and helping them accomplish what they would want to do in their normal, everyday life.”
  The center was named after Dr. Theodore K. Martin, who served MSU as an English professor, administrative assistant to the president, the dean of the School of Education, executive assistant to the president’s office and vice president. 
   Even with his many titles, he was widely known for making buildings and travel across MSU’s campus accessible for students with disabilities. This was before the law required any of these things. Duncan said Martin knew it was the right things to do, so he did it. Because his passion for students with disabilities aligned with the center, naming it after such a man was fitting.
   In regard to the upcoming race, there will be 15 or more cheer stations. The center is looking for more people to provide cheer stations as well as participate in the run itself.  Sign up for participants is at 5:30 p.m., and the race begins at 6:15 p.m.  Participants are asked to dress as their favorite super hero.
  Remembering that the most important part of the run is for the community and university to embrace the families of those who receive services from the T.K. Martin Center, the run is, according to Campbell, all about having a good time.  Running is not necessary and participants can walk, tricycle and walk dogs for the one-mile loop.  The run is $20 for one participant and $35 for families.  As far as cheer stations go, participants can make appropriate posters or provide glitter, bubbles, stickers, face paint and more to those running.  
  Regarding additional help, the center would appreciate anyone willing to stay for about an hour afterwards to help clean up. Contact the T.K. Martin Center for Technology and Disability at 662-325-1028 with additional questions.