Men’s Golf team releases 2016 schedule

With the men’s golf team set to tee off their season in two weeks, expectations are high among the program to make the jump into the postseason after barely failing to make the cut last season. 

With the team’s state-of-the-art practice facility located at Mossy Oak’s golf course in West Point fully functioning, the tools to take the next step are in place.

The indoor facility allows the team to practice on a daily basis despite the weather conditions, which can often handicap a golf team.  The facility is equipped with V-1 trackers that analyze a golfer’s swing and pinpoint areas of strength and weakness to further develop a player’s technique. 

Coach Clay Homan believes the accessibility of this technology will significantly aid in the team’s progression.

“It’s not new technology, but it has never been accessible to us, “ Homan said. “Normally our guys have to work with their individual trainers to work with V-1, but now our guys can work on their game anytime of the day.”

Junior Austin Rose is looking forward to the versatility that the facility will offer the team.  The Tupelo native said he believes that the program will take positive strides not only this upcoming season but in the future as well.

“With that facility, we can go in there anytime and work together and also on our individual game,” Rose said. “It really helps with recruiting when you can show off a facility of that quality.”

Ross Bell of Madison, said the facility’s convenient location and top of the line accommodations are also a big plus in recruiting.

“Being right next to Old Waverly—it’s one of the best golf courses around,” Bell said. “The new Mossy Oak course only adds to that atmosphere.  We only have to drive 20 minutes to get there, and a lot of teams around the country have to travel at least twice as far to get to their practice facility.  We’ve got a lot of good stuff to show recruits.”

However, the team does not expect their new practice center to be the highlight of the season.  This team expects to contend for the SEC championship, which has changed its format to match-play for the top eight teams after thirty six holes, and eventually the NCAA postseason.

“Once you get to match play, it’s up for grabs,” Bell said of the conference tournament.  “I think we have the pieces to put ourselves in a good position to contend for that SEC title and get into the postseason.”

Rose believes a good balance of veterans and talented newcomers will bring the right mix to make the leap this year.

“We only lost two guys, so we have a lot of guys with some experience,” Rose said. “I think most of the team has a great chance to contribute and get us where we need to be.”

The men’s team will tee off their season on Sept. 12 with the   Sam Hall   Intercollegiate hosted by Southern Miss in Hattiesburg.