‘Urinetown: The Musical’ to debut on November 10

starkville+theatre
Sarah Dutton
starkville theatre

The Starkville Community Theatre’s 39th season will continue with nine productions of “Urinetown: The Musical.” The play is set in a city where, following a 20-year drought, the government has banned the use of private toilets, leading to all city toilets being owned by a single company and admission being charged to anyone who uses one of the toilets. These events cause one hero to lead a revolution in “Urinetown: The Musical,” a satire of politics and musical theatre and winner of three Tony Awards.

Lily Hudson, an administrative assistant for the Mississippi State Department of Aerospace will play Soupy Sue in the play, one of the poor characters said she is excited to participate in her first production with Starkville Community Theatre.

“I wanted to be a part of a group of all ages that loved singing, acting, and dancing just as much as I did,” Hudson said. “We see each other pretty much every day and have all become good friends!”

Hudson has not had much acting experience, however, she believes her prior musical experience has prepared her to contribute to “Urinetown: The Musical.”

“I have experience in choir and band, but very little acting,” Hudson said. “I knew the production was going to be a musical and since I had never really acted I felt I could contribute through singing.”

Petra Banks, a Mississippi State University graduate student studying forensic anthropology, will play Josephine Strong, the mother of the leader of the revolution in the play, Bobby Strong. Unlike Hudson, Banks has extensive theatre experience.

“I have been involved in theatre since I went to a summer camp at thirteen and have been hooked ever since,” Banks said. “People involved in theatre are supportive and goofy and being involved in theatre is very cathartic.”

Although Banks has extensive theatre experience, “Urinetown: The Musical” will be Petra Banks first production with Starkville Community Theatre and still requires an adjustment period.

“Every theatre company is different and it has been really fun to learn the way Starkville Community Theatre runs differently than my home theatre company in Alaska,” said Banks.

Both Hudson and Banks encourage everyone who can attend one of the showings of “Urinetown: The Musical” at Starkville Community Theatre to do so.

“Urinetown is, among other things, a satire of Broadway musicals, especially “Les Miserables,” and politics and I think everyone will find it very cathartic after a long election season” said Banks.

Hudson said she thinks the show has many facets of entertainment for the audience.

“Starkville Community Theatre and “Urinetown: The Musical” have something for everyone,” Hudson said. The show has big dance numbers, jazz songs, and sarcastic jokes. You will be laughing a lot!”

Performances will take place at 7:30 p.m from Nov. 10-12 and Nov. 15-19 and at 2 p.m. on Nov. 13 at 108 East Main St.. Tickets can be purchased beginning Nov. 4 by calling the box office at 662-323-6855 for a cost of $15 for an adult ticket or $10 for a student ticket.