Bulldog Bash impacts more than Starkville economy; it also affects MSU students

Monday morning after Bulldog Bash, The Commercial Dispatch released an article entitled “Shortened Bulldog Bash costs Starkville Businesses Sales.” This is the most recent article in a string of 11 that have covered the event since this summer. 

The Commercial Dispatch is doing its due diligence to expose the economic impact this event has on Starkville businesses, but as student body president, I feel it is my responsibility to shed light on the physical and emotional impact this event has on our students. 

I personally left last week with a corneal ulcer, an acute upper respiratory infection and a limp. Other students working the event passed out due to exhaustion, received puncture wounds and crushed fingers from lifting heavy production equipment, cuts in their hands from picking up glass and various other injuries. 

Our advisors and staff members missed out on time spent with their families. Our directors did not sleep for over 24 hours the day of show. With the location issues that arose this year, the directors, staff and myself put more time and energy than ever before into making sure Bulldog Bash could even take place this year. The    SA  realizes these  injuries are always possibilities and that this event is not to be taken lightly; however, after 17 years of passing down knowledge, we have learned to mitigate the various issues that arise. 

That is why we start planning the day the directors are selected. This year, I began working the day after I was elected searching for new locations in the city that could possibly hold this event after being informed the original location would be unavailable.

The SA realizes the economic impact of Bulldog Bash on the Starkville Community is vital. We are thankful for the partnerships we make and realize how invaluable and unique they are to our university and its city. However, the SA members and our advisors truly enjoy doing all the work that goes into Bash because of what it means to the student body. 

Giving students something to look forward to at the end of the week, something they can brag about to their friends at other schools, is why the SA makes the sacrifices I mentioned above. Though cabinet and executive members are tired, many will tell you that working Bulldog Bash is one of their favorite memories from their time in the SA due to the amazing service they are able to provide to the student body. 

No one involved in the SA has ever sought acknowledgement for the sacrifices I mention above and gladly do the work thanklessly. I am so thankful that our student body understood that this weekend was out of the SA’s control, and I cannot express how thankful I am for all the support that was shown despite the circumstances. Now, I think it is time to shed light on all that the SA does for the city after 5 months of tension between the SA and city newspapers, officials and business owners.

When we compare the economic impact on the city from one year to the next and blame a decrease in sales solely on an issue that no one had control over, students cannot help but to feel alienated by some members of the community, which could make students feel viewed as only financial pawns, not human beings. 

I think the future of Bulldog Bash holds so much potential, however this rests on mending these relationships and strengthening partnerships between students and businesses.