Abdul Ado ruled ineligible for 2016-2017 season

Olivia Zeringue | The Reflector

Former 4-star recruit Abdul Ado has been ruled ineligible for the 2016-2017 season. He will; be eligible after he passes 9 hours.

Mississippi State Basketball (1-0) received word on Tuesday afternoon that true freshman forward Abdul Ado has been ruled ineligible to play basketball this season.

Ado, who is from Nigeria, had transcript issues with the NCAA that resulted from him transferring from Nigeria to Hamilton Heights Christian Academy in Tennessee. 

The NCAA ruled him ineligible before the season. Ado and MSU appealed that decision earlier in the year, but were denied. Howland made the announcement Tuesday.

“We just found out that our appeal was denied for Abdul,” Howland said. “Needless to say, disappointing for Abdul and disappointing for our team and our players.”

In the short-term everything remains the same for Ado. He has been unable to practice or play for as long as the appeal was in process. However, he will be able to practice with the team after he passes nine credit hours. Ado, who is taking 15 hours this semester, will be able to practice as soon as he gets his first three passing final grades back.
He will remain ineligible to play for the entirety of this season. Simply put, Ado is redshirting this season, he will not lose eligibility. Normally a player has five years to play four seasons, with a player being able to sit out one year with a redshirt. Ado will have four season to play four years.
“There are good things ahead for Abdul and for this program,” Howland said. “I’m excited about that, just disappointed it is not going to be this year.”