The streetcar opens the mic to local poets

Vanessa Gillon

Amber Dodd, student at MSU, captivates the audience with her spoken word poetry.

The Streetcar, Mississippi State University’s creative arts journal, in collaboration with the MSU Writing Center, welcomed creative writers and poetry lovers to their annual Open Mic Poetry Night that took place in the Dawg House of the student union on Wednesday night.
Staff members rolled away the couches and chairs that occupy the Dawg House daily to the back of the room and replaced them with single chairs.
 Two microphones were aligned along the stage and refreshments were provided in the back of the room.
Katelyn Vance, general editor of The Streetcar said hosting the poetry event each year in the fall encourages students to reveal their creative thoughts and expressions, perform it, and be prompted to submit work to the journal.
“You don’t usually see them, but there are a lot of wonderful writers and artists on campus,” Vance said. “Our hope is that people who aren’t quick to go on stage and perform will be moved by their fellow student artists and be encouraged to go on stage as well.”
There was just enough light on the stage to illuminate the dimly lit room as the poets began to come up on stage.
Doorress Anderson was the first up. Her nerves, she said, always leave her once she steps on stage in front of everyone.
“The poem I wrote is about bullying and although it is my own personal experience, I know there are people out there who can relate, even in college,” Anderson said. “Some people do not believe bullying still happens in college, but it does.”
Anderson said before last year, reciting her poetry out loud was not even a thought but that once she did, she loved it and would encourage anyone to do it.
“My advice to someone who isn’t sure if they want to put themselves out there on such a personal level is to just do it,” Anderson said. “If something makes you uncomfortable, write it down, read it aloud; I guarantee it will touch someone else.”
The lineup of speakers had already been set but the staff urged everyone to feel free to sign up as they listened.
The poets spoke on topics that ranged from love, anger bullying, and confusion. All passages were delivered with emotion and received by loud applause.
Curiosity led bystanders and onlookers to step inside the Dawg House to see the show and some were even led to sign up and perform themselves.
Qwantaria Russell, a freshman criminology major was among those who were urged to stop by.
“I had every intention on coming to enjoy the show and not get up but once I began to hear everyone speak I was comforted by the emotional atmosphere and was inspired to get my story out,” Russell said. “I figured that someone else might be going through the same things I have and my going up on stage saying it aloud, having it hit you in the face like reality would be of some help.”
Russell said although she was initially scared and her nerves were wrecked, she is glad she got to experience the event.
“When they called speaker after speaker and soon asked if anyone else wanted to sign up and go, my adrenaline was rushing and I decided to go for it and I am glad I did it but mostly grateful by how warm and welcoming everyone was- it was a great experience,” Russell said.
The Streetcar will be accepting submissions until Nov. 20. You can send your submissions to the streetcarmsu.wordpress.com.