People of MSU: Dr. Tom Carskadon

Megan Bean

ALHP (Appalachian Leadership Honors Program) Advisory Board–Tom Carskadon

On an overcast morning in Starkville, students gather in the crowded, stuffy hallway outside of Dorman room hall 100. At the turn of the hour, the auditorium doors open suddenly and the flood of students enter as the search for the perfect seat begins. 
   The students wait patiently as the sound of their muffled conversations echoes throughout the spacious auditorium. All at once, a hush comes over the room as the squeak of sandals is heard from behind. Dr. Carskadon has just arrived.
    Dressed in his typical attire of a blue oxford shirt, pressed navy pants  and Teva sandals complete with thick black socks, Dr. C continues down the aisle and approaches the podium.
  “Good morning, scholars,”    Dr. C kindly says as he passes. Students are more than just students if you ask Dr. C, they’re scholars.

Psychology professor and Director of First Year Experience Programs, Carskadon or simply “Dr. C” has taught Psychology at Mississippi State for 43 years. Dr. C credits his long career to the fascinating subject of psychology and his bright scholars. With such an extensive career,    Dr. C has maintained many traditions in his classroom. One of which is his unvarying outfit which developed many rumors among his scholars.  
     One of his students, sohphomore Psychology Major Theresa Fitchie said his signature style was consistent.    
     “The only thing [about Dr. C’s outfit] that changes is his tie,” sophomore Psychology major, Theresa Fitchie said with a laugh. 
    Aside from his trademark outfit, Dr. C livens up his General Psychology classroom with “The Birthday Song” that he enthusiastically serenates his scholars with on their birthdays. The rhythmic clapping spreads throughout the room to the beat of Dr. C’s singing. The energetic occasion concludes as Dr. C presents the birthday scholar with a BOPS certificate, yet another tradition of Dr. C’s.
    Fitchie describes Dr. C’s unique dedication to his scholars as an investment. 
“He will go out of his way to make sure you know that you matter and you’re important,” Fitchie said. 
When asked about his commitment to the students of Mississippi State University, Dr. C said it’s the best way to spend his time. Dr. C said the satisfaction of teaching bright, interesting scholars cannot be found at any other place but this university. The ever-changing group of scholars Dr. C impacts each semester remains the driving force for his dedication to shaping MSU students into the leaders of tomorrow. 
“I want [my scholars] to enter university ready for all kinds of great things to happen,” he said, “and I want to be part of what delivers that to them.”
   Dr. C says he hopes his legacy at MSU is one of genuine love. He said he wants his scholars to remember that, “[I] loved to teach and [I] taught with love.”