Bill Broyles, assistant VP for Student Affairs, retires

Earlier this year, Bill Broyles, a longtime Mississippi State faculty member, officially retired. Broyles retired from being the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs. Broyles has worked at Mississippi State for 37 years.
  Broyles said he is trying to get used to retirement, and is looking for a new challenge. Broyles said he is looking for a way to give back to the community in some way. Broyles said he plans on traveling now that his schedule is more free. 
  Broyles said his experience at MSU was more than he imagined, and originally, he had not expected to stay very long. Also, Broyles said  his experience was rewarding.
 Regina Hyatt, vice president of Student Affairs, said she has known Broyles since she began her position as vice president, and he was a significant aid in her transition into her new role.
  Hyatt said she will miss Broyles’ knowledge and his sense of humor. Hyatt also said Broyles had an unwavering commitment to the university.
 Sid Salter, MSU’s chief communication officer, said he knows Broyles very well. Salter said Broyles was a great ally and a constant professional as well as a pleasant person to work with. Salter said he would miss Broyles’s humor and smile. 
 Salter said Broyles could bring laughter to a tense situation.
  “Broyles always took his work seriously, but didn’t take himself too serious,” Salter said. “That was refreshing.”
      Salter said Bill’s knowledge will be difficult to replace. Salter said Broyles had a wealth of knowledge about Mississippi State’s history and development.
   Both Salter and Hyatt said Broyles was a big asset to Mississippi State. 
   “He was a tremendous asset,  and I wish him nothing but the very best in this next phase of life,” Hyatt said. 
  She said Broyles was responsible for many facilities on campus, and development of Student Affairs programs and services. 
  Salter also said Broyles was a huge asset to him since he took the position of Chief Communication Officer.
   “Bill is a go-to guy. He is one of a handful that I could rely on day in and day out,” Salter said.
      Salter said he could count on Broyles to give a straight answer and Broyles cared deeply about the future of Mississippi State.
   Hyatt said the Student Affairs will hire someone to serve as Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs that will bring a different skill set. Hyatt said Broyles’s replacement is still unknown, but Student Affairs did hire a person to be the division’s budget manager which was a part of Broyles’ job.
 Broyles said his advice for his replacement is to embrace Mississippi State. 
 Salter said Bill is a Bulldog, and he loved this place.
   Hyatt said Broyles would always be a part of the Student Affairs Division and the Mississippi State family.
    Broyles said Mississippi State gave more to him than he gave back.