Bulldog Burger receives rave reviews

Sarah Story

Bulldog Burger Company opened on Feb. 2 on University Dr. and has attracted a large crowd ever since. The restaurant has received many reviews for its atmosphere and music selections.  Bulldog Burger is now known for the signature bulldog logo stamped on each ‘Bulldog Burger.’ The restaurant also offers a sampling of four of their 16 draft beers in what is called the ‘flight.’

Bulldog Burger Company is a recent addition to the Cotton District that definitely gives the Starkville culinary scene a few points.

The restaurant opened on Feb. 2 and was packed throughout the weekend, with waiting crowds continually gathering under the patio string-lights. I finally went on Monday and even at 3 p.m. on a weekday, the parking lot was full. Turns out, this is all for good reason. Bulldog Burger Company lives up to the hype. 

Distrustful of all businesses buying into 2016-aesthetic trends, I was initially cynical about the Bulldog Burger Company décor. The restaurant is high ceilinged and airy, with large windows and a modern grey-scale color scheme. I felt more hip just by being there and was thus skeptical about whether the food could compete with the bathroom’s ideal selfie-lighting. 

The several big-screen TVs seem somewhat at odds with the ambiance, but turns out they’re easy to forget with a gourmet burger in your mouth and 2000’s alt-rock getting stuck in your head. 

Mississippi State’s Special Teams coach Allen Tucker enjoyed the atmosphere.

“The tunes are good, but the food is stellar,” said Tucker, who sang along to about every third song between bites of his burger. Tucker has visited Bulldog Burger Company twice since its grand opening and has been thrilled with both visits.

“You know that episode of ‘Spongebob’ where Squidward falls in love with a Krabby Patty?” sketch-artist and ‘Spongebob’-buff Tucker asked. “That’s what happened to me today with the ‘Freshman 15.’” The ‘Freshman 15,’ a burger topped with a patty-sized piece of fried mozzarella, is one of many unique and cleverly-named items on the menu.

I had a ‘Pimentology’ burger, which was topped with pimento cheese and a fried green tomato. It was cooked just right and came with enough cheese for me to dip my truffle fries in the overflow, which was a plus. Plating was minimalist, but still implied the handiwork of a chef. The kitchen is all about fun little touches—if you order a classic Bulldog Burger, it comes with the Company’s crown-wearing bulldog logo stamped on the bun. 

The service was also as well-done as the food and ambiance. The wait staff were welcoming, exceptionally attentive and more than willing to chat. Refills were quick and cook-time was brief too, especially considering the gourmet quality of the burgers. 

On top of serving probably the best burger in Starkville (Sorry Mugshot’s/Christy’s), Bulldog Burger Company also functions as a bar and lounge. When I first heard about the Bulldog Burger Company replacing Sweet Peppers on University Drive, I was disappointed the building wasn’t going to be used as a live-music bar (which is No. 1 on my Cotton District wish-list). However, I was psyched to see that Bulldog Burger also has a wide beer selection and specialty spiked shakes. 

“I was excited to see they had a beer flight,” brew enthusiast and agronomy major Anna Claire Rogers said. The flight is a sample of four of the bar’s 16 draft beers.

With a full bar, free wi-fi and a delicious-sounding late-night menu, Bulldog Burger Company knows how to cater to its college-kid crowd. On top of this, it serves a stellar meal for any Starkville burger-lover, even those that are health-conscious or vegetarian. 

Rogers said she plans to bring her Alabama relatives to the burger joint in the future.

“I’ve loved both of my Bulldog Burger experiences,” Rogers said. “I’ll definitely be bringing friends and relatives when they’re in town.”