MSU Video Game Club hosting gaming week

The Mississippi State Video Game Club is hosting the first ‘Week of Gaming’ April 18 to 23.  The club is organizing multiple events for all students.  
       The club’s events during this week are open to any students desiring to join.  Today, the club is hosting Gaming Dojo from 6-8 p.m. in Butler Hall 100.  This is a tutoring session on gaming for anyone who wants to join.  
   On Wednesday, in Butler Hall 100 from 8-9 p.m., the club is gathering to test out a new video called Tuebor.  The game is designed by Strength in Numbers Game Studios.  Anyone who goes to test the new game will receive free downloadable content if they decide to buy the game after playing.  
    On Thursday from 7 to 10 p.m. in Butler Hall 100, VGC will have their weekly meeting.  On Friday in the Union from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., the club will play Duck Hunt.  The week will end with the 24-hour lock-in hosted in Butler Hall from 9 p.m. Friday–9 p.m. Saturday.  
     At the lock-in hosted in 2015, Joseph Brummett, the president of the MSU Video Game Club and junior majoring in English,   said there were about 100 people who attended.  This year, the VGC is hoping for 200.  The lock-in is sponsored by Red Bull, Sweet Peppers, Domino’s Pizza and others providing free food for everyone attending.

Brummett encourages students to join to increase the diversity of the club.
 “We’re working on encouraging more than our average stereotypical gamer to come by and we’ve been succeeding in that so far,” Brummett said.  “If you like playing video games, casually or competitively, join us.”
   MSU Video Game Club was started in 2010.  The club has about 300 members overall, with 60 people attending their weekly meetings.  It requires no membership dues for individuals to participate in their events and weekly meetings.  Members of the club are not required to attend every weekly meeting.
 Austin Braswell, the vice president of VGC and freshman majoring in information systems, said video games are a lot more fun when playing with others.  
  “My favorite thing about the club is the open atmosphere and that everyone in the club would be just as happy playing with someone new as they would be playing with their best friend,” Braswell said.
  Justin Samuels, the advisor of the club, said he has enjoyed watching students participate in the club.  His duty as advisor is to ensure that the club is operating at maxium operational efficiency at all times, while adhering to the University’s Student Organizational procedures, Samuels said.
   “The club is a gathering space and outlet for individuals with like-minded ideals and hobbies, and I really enjoy how I am able to mentor members and my officers and watch them grow to become better leaders, students and citizens while at MSU,” Samuels said.
      The MSU Video Game Club offers tournaments on a bi-weekly basis, on  either Saturday or Sundays, with  newly released games, such as NBA 2k, Super Street Fighter 5, Call of Duty and others. Individuals  can come and compete for bragging rights and cash or gift-card prize.
    For more information concerning the MSU Video Game Club you can contact them at [email protected], follow them on Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter at @MsuGames, or their Facebook group page: MSU Games.