People of MSU: International Veterinary Pathology graduate student Lena Lee

Nicole Lee

International student Lena Lee, who is originally from Taiwan, spends a lot of her time in MSU’s microbiology lab working towards her doctorate.

On a bright March day, Lena Lee ascends the stairs of the microbiology lab, puts on her lab coat and goes to work. It’s here that Lee’s passion of testing hypotheses and solving problems becomes a reality. Away from the bustling Mississippi State University campus, Lee sits on a lab stool and checks on her latest experiment. The hum of the lab equipment provides the only audible noise as Lena peers over a microscope. 
  As a doctorate student in veterinary pathology, Lee’s first encounter with Mississippi State was in her home country of Taiwan. Lena Lee studied under Dr. Chou, MSU alum and microbiology professor, at National Taiwan University. He encouraged her to follow in his footsteps as an international student at MSU. 
 Her passion for microbiology grew as MSU provided her with a place to become an independent researcher. However, overcoming the uncertainty of a new country and language became a difficult obstacle. With the help of her lab partner and the President of the Taiwanese Student Association, Cherry Ho, Lee began to adjust to life at Mississippi State. 
   Lee’s determination soon became a trademark as she spent many long days in the lab pouring over her latest experiment. Sometimes canceling personal plans to tend to her research, Lee’s distinct commitment established a higher standard for other researchers. 
“She has the best work ethic I’ve ever seen. She really sets an example,” Ho said. 
Her current work involves the development of Listerial biofilm, a bacteria that can form communities on various surfaces. Through her understanding of Listeria monocytogenes Lena hopes to prevent the biofilm formation that can cause cross-contamination or infection. 
Lee’s adviser and Associate Professor in the Department of Basic Sciences, Dr. Wang, noticed her commitment early on.
“Her work ethic and enthusiasm about research is unquestionable,” Wang said. 
After completing her PhD, Lee hopes to become a college professor and inspire future generations to push the boundaries of microbiology research. 
“I want to share my knowledge [with others] and [have] discussions with them to create new ideas,” Lee said.