Student remembered as hard worker

Remembered by friends and family as a humorous storyteller and hard worker, Mississippi State University senior political science and history major Taylor Lyons, 22, died on Dec. 13.
Michael Hunt, Oktibbeha County coroner, said Lyons received massive head trauma from falling down stairs at an off-campus party in Starkville.
Sergeant Chadd Garnett of the Starkville Police Department said Lyons was transported to Oktibbeha County Hospital and then transferred to the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Garnett said the death was ruled an accident.
Leslie Lyons, Taylor’s mother, said her son was a good student. He had finished his political science degree during the fall and was returning to MSU this semester to complete his history degree. Taylor was planning to attend law school and had taken the LSAT.
“He finished in the 93rd percentile and was proud of that,” she said. “He was excited [about law school] because he had found something he would be good at. He thought he was lucky because he enjoyed it and could excel at it.”
Brad Melancon, a friend of Lyons, said Lyons knew he wanted to be a lawyer.
“No person worked harder,” he said. “He wanted to hang out but knew what was important. He sacrificed time to get into law school.”
Jeff Cavanaugh, Lyons’ adviser at MSU, said Lyons was exceptionally intelligent.
“He had a bright future, and it was a sad loss for everyone,” he said.
Melancon said Lyons had a larger-than-life personality.
“He wasn’t quiet about his opinions or anything in general,” he said. “He believed in what he believed in. He was proud of where he came from and his family and friends.”
“He worked hard and played harder,” Melancon said. “He was never depressed and was always up for a good story or laugh.”
Tim Snow, a friend of Lyons, said he was witty and had a dry sense of humor.
“He was funny,” he said. “If something funny or an awkward situation happened, he was the person you’d text.”
J.D. Morgan, a friend of Lyons, said Lyons was a storyteller.
“He liked to embellish a little,” he said. “But it was harmless embellishment and added to the story.”
Lyons was a good person to go to for advice, Morgan said.
“He was very rational,” he said. “He had a great way of putting things. He was a straight shooter.”
Andrew Chevalier, a friend of Lyons, said Lyons spoke his mind.
“He had no problems telling you what he thought,” he said. “Even if it’s not what you wanted to hear.”
Leslie Lyons said her son loved to spend time with his family in Ocean Springs, Miss. She said Taylor shared fishing and camping with Wes Lyons, his dad, and football with her.
In high school, Taylor played football on the Ocean Springs High School team and went to the state football championship as a sophomore, she said.
In Ocean Springs, Taylor, his father and some of his friends found a catamaran on the beach and dug it out of the sand, she said.
“They put in a boat motor and launched it,” she said. “People watching from boats laughed because the motor fell off.”
Taylor loved his sister, Beth, and was excited when she stayed with him during Bulldog Bash this year, Leslie Lyons said.
“He was glad she got to experience everything and hang out with his friends,” she said.
Taylor was planning a trip to Disney World with his grandparents, Butch and Paulette Stagg, and always went on family vacations, she said.
“He liked to travel,” she said. “He wanted to see lots of things and loved being with his family.”
She said he loved his fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon, and talked about his friends and how they felt like a family.
Melancon said Sigma Phi Epsilon is working with the Lyons family to find a way to honor Taylor through some type of memorial.
“We are working to find the best way to honor him,” he said.
Melancon said Lyons loved history, football, music and hanging out with friends.
“He was a people person,” Melancon said. “I’ll miss going to football games with him,… going to Ptolemy’s, talking about music and going to concerts together.
“I was fortunate to know him the four years he was here,” he said.
Snow said Lyons had a unique personality.
“I’ll miss his witty personality and innate ability to speak his mind,” he said.
Chevalier said Lyons and a group of friends would go play trivia at Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern on Wednesday nights, and Dave made the password “Lyons” the Wednesday following the accident.
Chevalier said he spent a summer with Lyons in Panama Beach working at a Guy Harvey Island bar.
“It was probably the best summer I’ve ever had.”
 ”I feel like a better person for knowing him,” he said. “I definitely loved him like a brother.”